Core i7 spec check :)

Soldato
Hello, Im upgrading my pc that i build last christmas to the core i7 860. Just wondering if everything is ok on what I will order next week :) Here is the list of things;

G Skill RipJaw 4x2Gb's Dual Channel 1600mhz (I want 8gb's as I won;t have to upgrade, plus gives me head room for the future)

Corsair H50 775/1156/1366/Am2+/Am3+

Corsair 800D (I want this case and only this case as it's the case I have always wanted. Also, i'm doing a black and red colour theme.)

24 Pin power extenshion

3 Pin fan extenshion x5

Y splitter 3 pin fan x2

850W CorsairHX Psu (I wanted it for the future proof and for my second 4890)

120mm Enermax Red Fan (I wanted it to do push/pull on the h50, also becasue of its red fans)

NZXT Sentry 2 touch screen fan controller

Samsung 500gb F3

Asus Maximus III Formular (I wanted this for the sound card, the looks and the overclocking ability)

Sond Ad 24x DVD+R

Will be using my sapphire 4890 out of my build now, then will be getting another at christmas.

Anything I can change to make it cheaper as I've just gone over my limit.
Thanks for viewing and comments, Thanks.

Ben

Last edited:
Soldato
I may have already said this, but I would suggest instead going for an i7 920 spec. It will cost the same for the main parts, but you get the following benefits:

- The 775/1366 H50 cooler is cheaper than the 1156 one.
- Overclocking is easier on an X58
- No worries about sockets with bad contact
- More bandwidth available for crossfire
- More memory bandwidth (the option is there for triple-channel RAM)

With all these good points, and No Cost Premium - I think it makes a lot of sense to go for the 920 instead. Unless you plan not to overclock, and I don't get that impression since you chose the H50 cooler.

Either way, you will get a swift PC, have fun :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your view mate. I've had a look at the core i7 920 but to get the asus II extream etc, it will cost more. I've researched each thing i've put into my build so I want to stick with the p55 chipset mate. The bandwidth for crossfire is minimal performance loss 2-3% at most. Also, from what people have said, the i7 860 is faster than the 920 and a lot easier to overclock. Thanks for your view mate :)

Associate
I would say get x58, Why do you need Asus Extreme??? You arent by the looks of things going to have custom WC so you wont see the differnce between the Asus extreme and a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

Soldato
The sound card is really good as i have a 5.1 headset and i love my sound, also black and red theme.

Is it? Really?

I was under the impression that pretty much any discrete sound card wiped the floor with the onboard X-Fi. Obviously, it is better than a realtek- but that's not exactly saying much. If you like your sound, I'd recommend getting a Xonar, they really are fantastic. Made by ASUS too :)

If you want a nice red/black themed X58, get this and a red GPU - happy days.

Back
Top Bottom