• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 280 screen corruption

Associate
I've had my GTX 280 since January (bargin price!) and it's been fine so far. As of a week ago, I had a massive screen corruption failure so I had to restart. Having just taken my graphics card out to reroute some cables, I thought it could be down to it not being seated correctly so I restarted and it was fine, couldn't replicate the error.

Fast forward to today and I had it a second time, while playing DoW2. It wasn't on boot, or after a loading sequence, it was mid-fight. My computer stayed responsive as I was on Skype and could continue talking without problems but with my screen output as it was, I had to restart. I rebooted and fired up furmark, causing an instant black screen.

Again, restarted except this time my motherboard beeped at me. I assume it was "lacking" a graphics card as I haven't had the time to check it yet. I turned the power off (not on the PSU) and turned my machine back on and now it appears to be fine. I've ran furmark and it was fine for the 3-4 minutes I had it running for.

Now my understanding is that screen corruption has to be graphics card memory/GPU problem. I can't replicate the problem so if I was to return the card to OcUK, how easy would it be to get a replacement?

Could it be anything else? Graphics drivers?

Soldato
Worth trying.
Graphical corruption is USUALLY due to a card fault or heat, however drivers can cause issues now and then as well, but check the heatsink for your card incase its dusty and is causing the temps of your card to rise. Very very occasionally it's power related, but thats pretty damned rare, if it was power you'd usually see symptoms like slowdowns and random resets.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea I thought as much. I updated my drivers before joining the gauntlet for SETI so I hadn't really tested them. It's unlikely to be temperatures as I've checked them and they stay well within the limits defined by NV.

Associate
hmm this seems to be happening to allot of 280s. mine and someone else on this forum and its on other forums too. mine is in process of rma.

it looks like its down to something being broken in the gfx card then fixing itself as it heats up which explains why you ran it all day after the first crash without issue until it cooled down.

it looks like your the third person on this forum in a week.
is the corruption like the screen linked to on this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18066614

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Finished my SETI CUDA units tonight so I put it to sleep while I went out. Came back in and installed unigine. Ran it and within 10 seconds I had a PSOD :(

Restarted PC and started Furmark. Ran fine for about 3 minutes at which point I had a nice brown coloured screen. Restarted PC and on POST got the same brown screen. Turned off the power and then back on, will now boot.

As posted in the other thread, as long as it's kept warm (SETI), I can boot games and play for hours without a problem. Once it's cooled down, it needs warming up before I can do anything with it.

Time to RMA?

Last edited:
Associate
Finished my SETI CUDA units tonight so I put it to sleep while I went out. Came back in and installed unigine. Ran it and within 10 seconds I had a PSOD :(

Restarted PC and started Furmark. Ran fine for about 3 minutes at which point I had a nice brown coloured screen. Restarted PC and on POST got the same brown screen. Turned off the power and then back on, will now boot.

As posted in the other thread, as long as it's kept warm (SETI), I can boot games and play for hours without a problem. Once it's cooled down, it needs warming up before I can do anything with it.

Time to RMA?

since it seems to be a common problem with the gtx 280 i should, mine is still in rma process. But get it to pink screen in another pci express slot or better still another rig to save you any fault not found fine and your time just in case.

Associate
OP
*sigh* I've decided to RMA it without testing in another slot/PC. I'm confident enough that it's an issue with the card and not the board. If it was my board, I'd get the error no matter what the temperature of the card but that isn't the case.

Associate
just thought i'd let you know my rma was successfull and since there are no 280s i get my money back from the retailer! score! now just got to decide whether i want to wait around for an ati 5870 or 5870 x2 or get a gtx 295 now.

Associate
OP
Haha no way! Nice one! I'd go for a 5850/5870 :D Sent mine back today, special delivery so it'll arrive tomorrow.

Also, I took a picture and a short video of it dying...
DSC02830.jpg

Associate
hehe yeah mine looks exactly like that video, id like a 5870, was thinking about getting another 1 for crossfire as it would be kind of like buy 1 get 1 free lol, i think in the long run i'd regret getting a 295 when i cant run things in dx11.

just saw the thread from fatboy about 5870s comming tomorrow think ill have to trust my refund will go ahead as promised and order 1 now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom