Best WD harddrive for Raid

Associate
Hi, Im looking to buy 2 Western Digital Harddrives. I need 2x 500GB for my Raid setup what would be best? Ive heard there are some single plater drives but not a clue which ones they would be??? could anyone point me in the right direction. :D

Associate
OP
TBH I have never Raided at all, I already have a green power 1TB which I just drag stuff I want to keep away from my main operating harddrive, I just wanted to increase the speed of OS drive using Raid not really sure what kinda raid Im gonna use they all seem to be around the same price so I thought I go for the 500GBx2 not really bothered about it being that big I could settle with 2x320GB but It was a small price for a lot more space. so i thought what the hell it might come in usefull :D. So you reccomend Raid 1 then? just need to find out which Drive has the single plater for faster access or something Ive been told lol Im no expert but Ive been told to aim for a single plater drive so anyone know which drive that is?

Associate
The Raptors are fast drives. On my last rig I went a bit OTT and got 2x raptor drives in a split raid config and 2x 250gb in mirrored raid. I put the OS and only the OS on the raptor and apps/data on the other disks. It booted quick, but really was kinda pointless :)

Associate
OP
Yeah, my pockets dont go that deep lol. If it where up to me I would have all my data on backup Raid and my OS for Speed. I have a 12month old WD 16MB cache Drive sitting around atm, If I buy 2 more and raid that??? 3 drives in raid, whats the best Raid for 3 drives? I will be buying this next week if I get a plan in action :D

Associate
OP
oo so its the F3's that have the single platters cheers, how would this work if I had the spare WD or would that just slow the raid down?? I was thinking of using the WD for a external drive if I wasnt going to implement it into my Raid anyways :D

Back
Top Bottom