Win 7 Arrives 21st

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah my mate used Easy Transfer, useful feature indeed but for the likes of me it's pretty useless as we have a drive dedicated to user documents etc :p

I just create a "System Image" using Windows Backup and Restore so if my Windows drive dies or Windows jeffs up then I just do a VHD image restore using the restore CD I created to load the image off the external backup and BOOM! my whole Windows drive is back to how it was :p

Think my next external drive is going to be eSATA though as USB 2 takes a bit to xfer 100GB over :p

Soldato
Quick random question - if I swap a graphics card in a system with OEM Vista installed, will it need activating? If it does, will it still work fine without being activated for a while?

Soldato
Installing it on my mother's PC tomorrow night in exchange for some dinner etc :)

Question is whether to go 32bit or 64bit. It's an early Intel x64 chip with 2GB RAM - Dell 3100C

Perfect for what my Mother uses it for, but what arcitecture..

Clean install from Windows XP Home. Only applications I'm aware of at the mo are:
MS Office
Family Tree

Soldato
Installing it on my mother's PC tomorrow night in exchange for some dinner etc :)

Question is whether to go 32bit or 64bit. It's an early Intel x64 chip with 2GB RAM - Dell 3100C

Perfect for what my Mother uses it for, but what arcitecture..

Clean install from Windows XP Home. Only applications I'm aware of at the mo are:
MS Office
Family Tree

Try it with the 64bit, it wont let you install it if your system is 64bit

Associate
Anyone done a custom/unattended install yet? Going to get round to installing mine tomorrow, but i'll want to move programs to d, userfiles to e and temp to f, first. Was hoping someone else has done it without problems yet.

Soldato
Got mine today and I sit here typing in it :D

Have to say I am seriously impressed. All the new little features, once you get used to them, make so much sense, plus all the Vista stuff that was annoying now works perfectly. So glad I upgraded.

Install took less than 10 minutes on my Corsair 64Gb SSD.

Also Fallout 3 has decided to work again YAAAAAAY!

Associate
Quick random question - if I swap a graphics card in a system with OEM Vista installed, will it need activating? If it does, will it still work fine without being activated for a while?

You'll be fine, a change of graphics card won't trigger reactivation.

Associate
Got mine yesterday. Installed it last night, it did take a while to install, mainly sitting at Setup Screens.. I'm still very new to this so I might have done it wrong, but I installed mine by telling the bios to use CD drive first and then boot from cd. As far as I know, I did a clean install but Windows keept my old files, which were about 600gig, I didn't actually want to keep them(took ages to delete).

I have to say that my boot times are longer than Vista, it may very well be that I've installed it wrong. I'd like to know if I have and how to do a complete clean install with out keeping my old files, if possible?

Associate
Well I really like it. I avoided Vista like the plague but 7 seems intuitive to me and much snappier - VWD struggled on XP

As a bonus the XP drivers for my RAID card work well (Promise S150 TX2plus)

It was also possible to run NTbackup from a USB flash disk to restore some files.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got mine yesterday. Installed it last night, it did take a while to install, mainly sitting at Setup Screens.. I'm still very new to this so I might have done it wrong, but I installed mine by telling the bios to use CD drive first and then boot from cd. As far as I know, I did a clean install but Windows keept my old files, which were about 600gig, I didn't actually want to keep them(took ages to delete).

I have to say that my boot times are longer than Vista, it may very well be that I've installed it wrong. I'd like to know if I have and how to do a complete clean install with out keeping my old files, if possible?

Sounds like you didn't format the drive during install and as such the 600gb of stuff left over fragmented the drive?

Defrag and reboot a few times, boot times will improve over each reboot by small amounts and superfetch will learn with use.

If all else fails, re-install but this time format :)

Also yay! another copy on the way from MS though....a bit late in dispatching but oh well.

Thank you for ordering the Microsoft Windows® 7 Upgrade.
Your order has been shipped.

Last edited:
Associate
got my copy yesterday but i took so long backing up all my crap and organising my files that i never got round to installing it :)

But on the plus side my corsair hx750w should turn up today so i get 2 new things to play with tonight. another lonely night for my poor gf!

does this add anything new to the rc or just the same?

Associate
Well, I'd like to comment on how great Windows 7 is, but I can't....
All sorted now. :D

Thanks to the guys at OcUK (I was the one who rang up a couple of times asking about Win 7 Ultimate x64 shipments) I was able to get ahold of an OEM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to go with my order, and get it amended to have Saturday delivery. Bloke turned up this morning with my goodies.

So, all is well, and I can start on my new install!

Cheers guys!

Back
Top Bottom