WARNING TO X25M G2 OWNERS

Permabanned
This report from tweaktown seems a bit concerning, glad I havent got around to flashing it yet (downloaded but not flashed) think I'm gonna wait til this is resolved or hopefully confirmed to be user error or somat

Soldato
This (apparent) fiasco and Crucial's firmware update problems seem to me NOBODY know what they are doing with these drives - the firmware seems "flakey" all round!

Associate
Hi,

It seems i am one of the unlucky ones :(
Worked last night after multiple boots, decided not to boot after uni this afternoon.
Reading the link above, the author seems to think it maybe because the drives weren't blanked before updating the drive. I used hdderase 3.3 to blank my drive before the firmware upgrade twice. As it is only possible to reinstall/repair windows again after a full erase. But for my drive the problem appeared again, this time after one restart.

Phil.

Soldato
Intel pulls SSD Toolbox for killing drives under Windows 7

Update: Intel just gave us its official statement on the matter:

Yes, we have been contacted by users with issues with the firmware upgrade for our 34nm SSDs and we are investigating. We take all sightings and issues seriously and are working toward resolution. We have temporarily taken down the firmware link while we investigate.

Associate
So I got my 80gig X25M G2 today, and of course thought I'd better get it ready to support trim so I updated the firmware. Now I'm wondering what I should do... can I go back? I've just installed windows 7 and some drivers so I have no data I need to keep.

Also I'm new to all this so was wondering if I did get Trim working. My os is windows 7 and I have the new firmware. I read you also needed to have a chipset driver/contoller that supports Trim. I'm not entirly sure what this is.

My Intel chipset driver is - 9.1.1.1015
Intel Matrix Storage Managment driver is - 8.9.0.1023

So was I all set, if the firmware was working properly?

I did not download the Intel Toolbox because this was taken down just after I had updated my firmware :/

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
i updated a colleagues new crucial drive at the weekend - no problem at all

i updated both of my intels to their new firmware yesterday
no issues
my drives are in RAID0 so i wont benefit too much, but it still works

3% performance increase over my already incredible 500+mb/sec seq read speeds

it is all scaremongering form people who dont know what they are doing

Associate
Jrkoneill "it is all scaremongering form people who dont know what they are doing" what is with the insult?
I may not be the worlds expert when it comes to Computer programming and architecture (i know a bit as my uni course incorporates both as modules). I can read simple instructions and follow them. Its not like it is very hard, i'd even trust my parents who don't use the computer for much more than Word and web browsing, to follow them and execute them correctly.
As the drives are very expensive to some of us, i thought it's nice of people to take their time out and let others know that a problem may exist.
Even Intel have admitted that there is a problem in a press release and pulled the firmware from their download list.

Associate
it is all scaremongering form people who dont know what they are doing
If they had to withdraw the firmware then I'd say it's definitely more than "scaremongering". This is the second high profile withdrawal we've seen in recent weeks, which makes it very clear that nobody's really sure how to implement TRIM support properly. I just hope this gets sorted out soon - and that prices drop - as I've been keeping my eye on SSDs for a while. There's just no way I'm going near them until the issues are sorted.

Soldato
hmm, I'm using Win7 x64, flashed and used the toolbox and I've not had a problem.
Will take the trimmer off schedule just in case though.

Soldato
This (apparent) fiasco and Crucial's firmware update problems seem to me NOBODY know what they are doing with these drives - the firmware seems "flakey" all round!

That's because the firmware is developed by the same company for each reseller!

OCZ went through a rough patch at the start, the Vertex v1199 firmware had a write corruption bug that left my drive data unrecoverable. Now they follow an independent firmware to the other non-intel resellers and that still has a few minor issues.
I found my v1275 works so I've not tempted fate by updating!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
all the searching around i have done for issues with the firmware confirm that the majority of people having issues are trying to flash whilst in AHCI mode

like the instructions tell you not to

the problem with the internet is this...
one or two people have an issue with a piece of hardware
it then sperads across the internet like a plague

i highly doubt intels RMA pile will correlate directly with the amount of people who claim to have bricked their drives

they HAVE to withdraw updates if problems occur, im not saying there isnt an issue with them, just that a lot of the problem is made 100% worse by people saying they have bricked drives [that they probably dont even own]

it is scaremongering, because it has done exactly that
There's just no way I'm going near them until the issues are sorted

put you off buying into them

early adopters of things like firmware run the risk of stuff like this
admittedly, flashing ssd firmware is more risky than say running beta graphics drivers

its not like intel force you to upgrade immediatly

Permabanned
OP
I kinda agree, hence why I said

think I'm gonna wait til this is resolved or hopefully confirmed to be user error or somat

But figured should let people know so they can make informed decision, reckon it'll be sorted one way or other in next week or two, but I am cautious so waiting myself

Back
Top Bottom