opinions needed.dell deal or build myself?....specs inside

Associate
Q9550 Core 2 Quad Processor (2.83GHz,1333MHz FSB,12MB cache)

Windows Vista® Home Premium
8gb mb (4x2GB)
Hard Drive 1TB (72000 RPM)
512MB ATI Radeon 4850 Graphics card

MISC
Mouse Dell Wheel USB 2 Button Scroll Black
SATA Cable for 2ND SATA Hard Drive
TV Tuner
19-in-1 Media Card Reader
Wireless European Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N MiniPCI Card
Dell Quietkey Black Keyboard
DVI to VGA port adapter
6x Blu-Ray ROM (read) Drive

System Price : £719.88

this seems like a fairly nice deal.can better be had?
i ll be buying a screen soon after.

opinions?

Associate
Well...the GPU is 2 generations old now, but reputed to be a good performer, oh and I5 is here but pricy. Hmm I would say, it will depend upon the resolution of your screen, the GPU's 512 mb's(believe it or not) may limit the performance on larger screens that are readily available. Apart from that it looks good.

Soldato
How many more threads are you going to make for your imaginary new pc?

People have already advised you on what parts to buy in several threads, and now you're talking about buying prebuilt :confused:

Associate
OP
well im a student.spent a fair bit of money on all my camera gear.
its mostly photoshop cs2 or cs3 and web browsing etc.

i was going to build my own amd build..then decided on an i7,then an i5.and im totally torn with what to get.

i know socket 775 is old compared to all the new toys out,but its going to last me awhile right?

how easy are dells to upgrade or change parts?
and i was going to get the dell ultrasharp 2209 since i ve heard its going to be better for photoshop.
HOW much better than a nice TN panel,im still not sure.

Associate
OP
its because im so torn between whats going to be best.its taken me nearly 6 months to save up 750-800 for this pc.i want to make sure im doing the right thing.
sorry if this bothers you :(
and i have no clue how to build myself.im too afraid of damaging parts or getting it all wrong

Soldato
its because im so torn between whats going to be best.its taken me nearly 6 months to save up 750-800 for this pc.i want to make sure im doing the right thing.
sorry if this bothers you :(
and i have no clue how to build myself.im too afraid of damaging parts or getting it all wrong

Doesn't bother me, you just seem to be taking an age on deciding what to buy :p

775 is old tech now, do yourself a favour and look into building a core i5/i7 rig as it will last you longer before needing to upgrade again. Surely if it's taken you that long to save up for it you want the best kit for your money?

For photoshop work I'm fairly certain you won't be wanting a TN panel, so yes it's either a PVA or e-IPS panel which unfortunately for you are a bit more costly. I'm no expert on either photoshop or what's the best panel to get for it though, so perhaps somebody else will chime in on that point for you? :)

Associate
OP
it has taken me far to long to decide.im sure im getting on peoples nerves,but i dont plan on upgrading for at least another 2 years.so im wondering if i didnt go for the i5/i7 route,by the time i upgrade,there will be a much greater jump in performance rather than (im guessing here) 30seconds quicker on an i5/i7.
or maybe im totally wrong (most likely)

but yes,down to the point,i dont get to treat myself to much,and this is probably going to be it for at least the next year or 2.if i could drive,id drive to the shop and nag the guys in there.but i cant.
thank you for the reply though :)

Associate
Personally I wouldn't bother with an expensive monitor for now - You can go mad and spend loads on a monitor when you graduate and get a job. TN panels nowadays aren't as bad as everyone makes out anyway. Sure, you don't get the viewing angles as you would with non-TN panels and the colour/vibrancy isn't quite as good but ask yourself, "where will I be sat in relation to my monitor?". I'll tell you, right infront of it! And if the colours were that bad then no-one would buy them would they?

If you are going to spend £300-£400 on display equipment, why not consider 2 X TN panels? This solution will be of far more benefit when it comes to working with Photoshop.

P.S. Go i7

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thank you ejr
i ve found a few refurbed ones so if they turn out to be ok,i may just get one of those for the same price as a TN panel
if not,i ll just go with a nice tn and save myself abit of money

Back
Top Bottom