Walter Trout touring

Soldato
Hi all,

I know there probably arn't many who are into their Blues guitarists, but just in case there are, just a heads up that Walter Trout is currently doing a UK tour of some small (and large) venues.

I hadn't realised, so it caught me by suprise that hes playing a tiny venue about 15 minutes from my house next Saturday, but I will be collecting some tickets tommorrow ;)

For anybody who doesn't know him, but is interested, lots of his stuff is on Spotify, but to cut a long story short he was the right hand (guitarist) man for many well known acts, Hooker, Mayall and the like for many years, but then went solo in the mid 80s. You will find lots of stuff with him jamming with the likes of Buddy Guy etc on Youtube if you look.

He sometimes goes a little OTT and (although I have never personally seen him live) sometimes seems to crack some pretty terrible jokes, but the man can play a guitar like a demon.

There are loads of shows listed on his website, but hes about half way through now, so its not the best heads-up ever!

And for anyone in Manchester who loves their guitarists, get yourself to Academy 3 next Saturday!

Associate
Top top bloke,i saw him at Rock City in Nottingham,late 80,s/early 90,s,only have two albums,Life In The Jungle is superb,and thats an understatement.
As good a guitarist as i have ever seen/heard,up there with the best live acts i have been to(and i,m 55 years old,and seen a lot of bands),anyone in your area,get there,will be brilliant for sure.:cool:
PS,enjoy your night matey,give us a review if you get time.

Soldato
OP
Top top bloke,i saw him at Rock City in Nottingham,late 80,s/early 90,s,only have two albums,Life In The Jungle is superb,and thats an understatement.
As good a guitarist as i have ever seen/heard,up there with the best live acts i have been to(and i,m 55 years old,and seen a lot of bands),anyone in your area,get there,will be brilliant for sure.:cool:
PS,enjoy your night matey,give us a review if you get time.

Will do, glad to hear someone else say he's good, all I have seen shows him to be. It's just rare you get to see this kind of player in the UK, let alone Manchester, so i'm quite excited :)

Will report back (assuming I remember!)

Soldato
OP
Well, as promised, heres a mini (very mini) review.

It was exceedingly good :) Walter and the level devils are a very charismatic bunch, good fun to watch. They played for around 2.5 hours and it was all excellent.

Couple of cameo appearences by a few of their friends, one guy clearly wants to be the Axl Rose of the blues-rock world, he could scream with the best of em!

He also brought up a 16 year old kid he found on one of his tours who battled it out with him, the kid was very very good, held his own against Walter.

As expected, it's all very self indulgent stuff, 10 minute solos in some cases, a good 5 minute drum solo at one point. But they are all very good at what they do, so it was a joy to listen to em :)

Was nice to just hear people actually good at playing their instruments, it's been a long tiem since I have sadly. They wern't pretty, they didn't really have any gimmicks, they didnt jump around the stage (but they had enough energy), they were all just very good at what they did.

For those into their guitar playing, I highly recommend seeing Walter trout and the Level Devils if they come to somewhere near you anytime soon!

Associate
Well, as promised, heres a mini (very mini) review.

It was exceedingly good :) Walter and the level devils are a very charismatic bunch, good fun to watch. They played for around 2.5 hours and it was all excellent.

Couple of cameo appearences by a few of their friends, one guy clearly wants to be the Axl Rose of the blues-rock world, he could scream with the best of em!

He also brought up a 16 year old kid he found on one of his tours who battled it out with him, the kid was very very good, held his own against Walter.

As expected, it's all very self indulgent stuff, 10 minute solos in some cases, a good 5 minute drum solo at one point. But they are all very good at what they do, so it was a joy to listen to em :)

Was nice to just hear people actually good at playing their instruments, it's been a long tiem since I have sadly. They wern't pretty, they didn't really have any gimmicks, they didnt jump around the stage (but they had enough energy), they were all just very good at what they did.

For those into their guitar playing, I highly recommend seeing Walter trout and the Level Devils if they come to somewhere near you anytime soon!
I knew you would enjoy the gig,ace musician,like you say,very good at what they do,if not to everyone,s taste,their loss though.

Soldato
OP
Heh.

It probably says a lot that i preferred ZZ Top's supporting act, Steel Panthers. They were hilarious and seriously entertaining.

Never heard of Dragonforce! Sorry mate!

Steel Panthers are awesome :) Been too long since there was a rock band who didn't take themselves seriousely (even ZZ Top do try and be serious every now and then!)

But yeah Walter Trout != ZZ Top / Steel Panthers etc., totally different stuff.

Walter Trout is for you if you like watching a balding bloke with a pony tail play a guitar like a demon :D (it's not as weird as it sounds, honest boss!)

Either way he's definately an under-rated guitarist imo, I think he should be mentioned in the same sentence as the usuals personally. He has a good, strong voice, his guitar skills are as good as I have ever seen for that kind of playing, and he is an easy person to watch on stage, never flustered or nervous.

Still, hope your dad has a great time.

Soldato
Yeah i've heard Waletr Trouts stuff, dad plays him a lot along with Joe Satriani, another of his favourite guitarists, and whilst i can appreciate his skill, the style of music is not really something i can "get in to". I figured it'd be more beneficial for someone who can appreciate it more go with him :)

I'm sure he will! :D Cheers for the thread, would never have known otherwise :)

Back
Top Bottom