Windows 7 Ulitmate and Steam Problems

Associate
Hey Guys,

Wasn't sure where to put this, here or in the games section but I suspect it to be a W7 problem so will stick it here for now.

After installing Windows 7 Ultimate late night, I tried to install Steam this afternoon but all I can get is 'sometimes' it will update and crash and other times it will go as far as logging in then crash.

All drivers are upto date and the Steam installed was downloaded from Steam today so should be up to date anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem :confused:

everything else has installed fine and works perfectly apart from Steam :mad:

Any idea's my friends ??

Associate
Steam has installed, frozen, crashed, installed again, frozen, been killed by task manager, and finally worked on my 7 HP last night.

To be fair to Windows 7, Steam has done this to me on XP, Vista and 7. I blame Steam, not Windows for it.

Associate
OP
ah damn, thats not good mate. Have posted on the powered by steam forums but tbh am not holding my breath as it can take a while for them to pull their fingers out or pull said finger out and point at the OS :mad:

Associate
OP
Interesting discovery but maybe coincidence. Went to task bar and clicked on customise and then selected: Steam > show Icon & Notifications and steam now works :confused:

I read somewhere that the task bar can play a part in steam not working and this 'seems' to back that claim up. Will see how it goes and will report back.

Associate
I have two pcs and a laptop. Steam works extremely well for the pcs but not with the laptop. The problem seems to be caused by the Nvidia graphics card of the laptop.

Soldato
Interesting discovery but maybe coincidence. Went to task bar and clicked on customise and then selected: Steam > show Icon & Notifications and steam now works :confused:

I read somewhere that the task bar can play a part in steam not working and this 'seems' to back that claim up. Will see how it goes and will report back.

Not just a coincedence, thanks to your message Steam is now working for me under Windows 7 also. I wasn`t getting any further than the login screen before I made that change as it was justing hanging and had to kill the app. Now all is well! :)

Associate
For some reason whenever I order a game off steam my credit card gets frozen? Whats that about.... Happens to my bro's card aswell, steam is very strange indeed.

Soldato
For some reason whenever I order a game off steam my credit card gets frozen? Whats that about.... Happens to my bro's card aswell, steam is very strange indeed.

That's the CC companys fault, you're brother and you need to call them up and complain about it, state that you use it for this company a fair bit and don't care if they thing it's a risky one, either allow it or you'll move.

I've never had a problem ordering off Steam, the alternative is to pay via paypal when buying off steam.

Associate
Thats true, I think I'd probably pay through paypal next time, seems like less hassle. Its strange that the CC think steam was trying to fraud me...has happened twice now. I would have thought a company as big as steam would not cause these problems with credit card companies.

Associate
I'm also having issues with Win 7 & Steam, I'm running the 64 bit version of Win 7 HP. Installed Steam without a problem first time, it ran once. Every time after that steam refused to start, when clicking on the icon I would get a lot of disk activity but nothing would happen.
Took it off and reinstalled it, it froze when updating, after restarting it took a few attempts to log in. Never had these problems on XP

Associate
Guys/Gals,

I've discovered another problem with steam. Steam itself works fine, but some games (Plants vs Zombies, L4D2 Demo so far on mine...) seem to not load at all, or come up with a black screen and do nothing more. If you try and run it from the exe file, rather than the steam entry, it says "Cannot load Steam.dll".

I've found a potential fix online, not had a chance to test it myself as i'm at work now, but it seems to be a legitimate fix. If you are having this problem, I will use some kind of non-psychic power to tell that you are using Comodo firewall.

Turn off Defense+ (permanently), then enjoy your Steam Games.

You shouldn't need to worry about doing this if you also have an antivirus program installed. Defense+ checks for Trojans, and thats about it. All antivirus programs also look for Trojans, so all is good.

*edit* I will edit this post again later today (after 5pm) when i've had a chance to test this myself. If it doesn't work, i'll have another look around to find some more informat

Last edited:
Associate
Running Steam and Windows 7 (Professional x64) fine without any issues, and I've not needed to tweak anything. So it doesn't seem to affect everyone.

This was installed a while back (when the RTM was released), so perhaps it's something to do with the latest Steam client?

Soldato
Running Steam and Windows 7, it works ok most of the time, but now and again, it seems to completely hog my bandwidth and stop me from being able to access any website. I turn it off and everything is back to normal. So i just leave it off unless i want to play something from the Orange Box

Soldato
I had a problem with Steam after I installed W7 x64, it used to blue screen every time I loaded CS @ anything above 640x480. Disabling my firewall, Outpost 2009, fixed this.

Associate
I had this problem, i tried running in XP compatibility, giving admins rights to the .exe!

In the end it just started working after multiple attempts and a few restarts, buggy as hell bit of software if you ask me.

Let it run for a few hours and see if it settles down.

Back
Top Bottom