VW Polo SE 1.4 (2001) - decent car?

Soldato
Hi guys,

My missus wants to replace her Clio with something a bit more masculine-looking, like a polo or golf. We've been quoted £3k for the clio, and we looked at a few golfs for similar money, but I came across a polo which comes in at around 2.5k, 1.4 SE from 2001.

Is it a decent car? Any known problems to look out for? Also, how does it compared to a 1998-ish golf (seems to be the price point for 3k or so).

Not terribly experienced with buying cars so looking for some advice on it, and running costs etc if you don't mind! :)

Soldato
Hi guys,

My missus wants to replace her Clio with something a bit more masculine-looking, like a polo or golf. We've been quoted £3k for the clio, and we looked at a few golfs for similar money, but I came across a polo which comes in at around 2.5k, 1.4 SE from 2001.

Is it a decent car? Any known problems to look out for? Also, how does it compared to a 1998-ish golf (seems to be the price point for 3k or so).

Not terribly experienced with buying cars so looking for some advice on it, and running costs etc if you don't mind! :)

Your woman female girlfriend wants a more manly car? :confused:

Is she replacing just on looks? Sounds like an utterly pointless exercise.

Soldato
OP
She does, bought the silver clio when she was about 21, and now just hates that she's got THE car all young women buy.

Yeah, from looking around it defo seems golfs do cost a lot more than anything else!

Partially a style thing, but also the 1.2 clio just doesn't shift at all, it feels really underpowered, so she's looking at 1.4s instead.

Fiesta's a good call, I'll see what she thinks!

So what do you think of the polo?

Soldato
Isn't the 1.4 Polo about as quick as a 1.2 Clio?

This is what I'm thinking and priced just as badly as the Golf.

For some reason these days a lot of people seem to think that VW are a premium brand and so charge lots for them, people pay the money, which means they will still charge a lot for them.

VW in fact aren't a premium brand, but are over priced in my view and when compared to other equivelant makes, especially when it comes to the hatchback range of cars.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I see your point. I wasn't particularly making a decision based on a polo being premium, it just looks decent, isn't too pricey and has 1/3 more power than the clio.

Fiesta does look good value though, can she be convinced!

Soldato
OP
THe boxier Fiestas (ie not the brand new shape, bu the one before) seem to be the same price, 2.5k or so - is that about right?

GF update: she's going to need convincing, reaction was 'urgh, it's so square!'

Soldato
OP
So she wants a manly car thats not manly?

The Fiesta's a better car than a similarly priced Polo...

I share your incredulity, believe me!

I'm going to veto the yaris (hehe) because I don't like it and she'll probably love it, and I'll have to drive a yaris around!

So, it's looking like a 3 door fiesta or the polo?

I've driven the fiesta and it's a tidy car (was the diesel though, not petrol) but never driven the VW.

Back
Top Bottom