• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Chance to unlock to a Quad for under £50

Soldato
Hello Everyone,

I want to bring your attention to a new and very much quiet addition to the AMD product line which seems to have gone very much unnoticed.

I'm afraid although widely available OCUK don't have them listed / in stock yet :( so don't go looking for them on here, I'm hoping that this thread will encourage them to get them in :)

Link to AMD product specs for this CPU:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...4=512&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=False&f11=&f12=

As you can see Its 45nm and AM2+ but not AM3 so I would guess this is from the more early deneb batch (920 / 940?) as it only has the DDR2 memory controller. Of course the biggest downside is the stock speed of only 2.2GHz and 11 multi which is a shame and of course locked.

When looking for these make sure it states AM2+, 45nm and 2.2GHz and check the OPN PIB numbers :)

I picked up one of these CPUs retail boxed from a competitor and am pleased with the results however still feel there is more to be had, what do you think? :)

FX-5000_3.2.jpg

I do like that its picked up as a Phenom FX :D as you can see two cores and 6mb of cache unlocked :)

The screenshot above is about 99% stable (Over 2 hours prime 95 on blend) and did take me a while to get there... I'm still trying to tweak it but overclocking on pure bus speed is not easy so do keep this is mind if you decide to give one of these a go and don't have much experience with these CPUs.

Just to confirm what I'm working with (most in sig anyway...):

Air cooled with Tuniq 120 Tower
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P with F8 Bios
Running in an Antec 1200
Corsair HX620W PSU

The CPU is a CACVC AC 0935FPMW Stepping

Oh and being weak I've ordered a second one to play with :) .... knowing my luck it will not even unlock! Oh well I can put hope :)

Michael

Associate
Interesting news! Just when I thought i was settled on a 550BE, this enters the fray. I will be looking forward to seeing the results of your second one. Quad at 3.3Ghz and saving £30ish on a budget build is a good return. I was considering using the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 770 board, with the chip being multi locked is there any clocking advantage in having the ud4p?

Cheers

Scotty

Soldato
OP
Hello,

Yeh sorry I'm not posted back sooner..

Stepping of the new CPU is CACVC AC 0936DPMW but its clocking identically and I'm experiencing the same issues as the 1st CPU (unlocked to a quad of course ). I'm still convinced that its not the CPU holding me back but some other settings I've got wrong on the motherboard... so something I will have to look into further.

I also put it back to 2 cores and tried to clock further and experianced exactly the same issues :(

It just seems so odd that although the CPUs are similar steppings I would think they would be different enough to at least vary in maximum clocks.

Both CPUs are retail boxed.

I've had this board for a fair while now and had a fair few CPUs in it. The GA-MA770-UD3 is meant to be a good board also I think but I'm unsure how they compare overclocking wise, I doubt there would be a massive amount in it though tbh.

Thanks,

Michael

Associate
Cheers for the update! It's encouraging that a quad core running at 3Ghz+ can be had for so little outlay. I think it won't be long before I take the plunge and order one myself.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the update! It's encouraging that a quad core running at 3Ghz+ can be had for so little outlay. I think it won't be long before I take the plunge and order one myself.

yeh, its going to be a crazy leap from an Athlon XP also :)

Remember that as with any Dual / Tri to Quad unlock there is no guarantee when it comes to unlocking, I've been lucky with both of these but its not to say that you will be also!

Let me know how you get on though if you do decide to get one :)

Associate
Hello,

Everyone.I'm a new user of China.

Now This CPU gamesaregood are using now is very popular in China DIYer.I

have a desktop.Its CPU is 45nm Athlon X2 5000(45nm) same as

gamesaregood's. I unlocked its additional Cores and L3 cache,too.

After that I run some test software for it.Such as 3Dmark06,Prime95,Hyper Pi

and so on.All passed.

I do not overcolck it because it is enough.

I am just one of China DIYERs.

Now I can release my hardware.

The mainboard is BIOSTAR TA790GX128M
BIOS edition is 2009/9/28 ACC settings:AUTO
HT link to X8 (200*8)
NB X8

memory is Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 1066 2G*2

Associate
That looks a ruddy bargain! haha. Not used AMD for quite a few years now and currently happy with my intel builds, but next time sombody wants me to build them a budget PC with as much power as possible this will definately be an option! haha

Associate
As I know not all those CPUs can be unlocked.

There is 4 periods. CACVC AC 0935,CACVC AC 0936,CACVC AC 0937 and CACVC AC 0938.

60% of 35&36 periods 5000 can be unlocked to quad-core.But 37&38 is only 30%.

My CPU is CACVC AC 0937. Its price is ¥360.

Many venders of TAOBAO in china tests all the 5000 CPUs.They set the price as ¥430
if the one could be unlocked.Others which failed tests they only set price as

¥ 340.They run more and more tests for it.

Associate
I've just got this cpu with the last bit of money i had left, got my sister to pick up this cpu from the shop and slapped it my pc and no luck unlocking this thing, tried vcore 1.5v and upped the HT volts to 1.35v and changed the values.
any how the chip is very good overclocker its sitting at 2.8ghz on stock volts but my ram is holding me back, when i get some money again ill get some decent 1066 ram, im sure ill be able to hit 3.2 or higher.

Soldato
OP
Is your motherboard flashed with the latest bios? Which stepping is the CPU?

Trust me 1.5v is totally unnecessary, I clocked it to 3.2GHz on 1.35v.

Just put your memory in a divider to rule that out being the issue....

Which settings are you using in ACC? -2 on all cores?

Associate
i tried stock volts and then 1.4v and 1.475v and stopped at 1.5v, and ACC tried -2 and carried on down to -12 so it wont be unlocker, well i not tried removing the 2 sticks of ram out of the 4 sticks and lowered the ram to 667. and motherboard is flashed to f6 to support the cpu but it booted on version f3a without unlocking, stepping is RB-C2 i think, didnt get alook at the batch number ill do it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
If i got this Athlon 5000+ at £43 new. What is the best budget motherboard to get so i can try to quad core it. I just need a test rig for testing pci-e graphics cards, so i don't have to keep swapping them into my pc.

Associate
RibTickler its a case of finding the cheapest with a SB710 or greater chipset.

the cheapest board on OcUK is the asus M4A785D-M Pro AMD 785G for £58.98

Back
Top Bottom