• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

advice needed for new CPU

Associate
Hi,
I don't really keep up with the latest developments .
What I do is come here every couple of years and ask people what the best bang for buck is and buy that.
I've got an old Core 2 duo running at 1.6ghz.It's one of the earliest and cheapest ones. I was thinking of upgrading but I don't really want to spend too much. Maybe 100 pounds?

Can anyone suggest a decent CPU for that much which would be a decent upgrade for me?

thanks,
Ives

Don
how about a Core 2 Quad Q8200 should do ok, but to be honest I would think about saving up and going i5 as you will notice more of a difference, or get a second hand Q6600....

Stelly

Associate
I think the L2 cache of Q8200 is to small(4M).I don't know the marketing of UK.But in China I would like to choose Q6600 which L2 Cache is 8M.And it is still on sale in Shanghai secondhand market.

Associate
OP
thanks for the tips.
At the moment I've got a Core 2 Duo E6300. By the looks of it, it runs on a LGA775 socket which it seems is what the Q6600 runs.
So ,if I got a Q6600, presumably I wouldn't need a new motherboard then?

Associate
AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-238-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=
CP-238-AM_400.jpg

Man of Honour
Asus p5LD2 SE Prolly won't take the newer 45nm core 2 CPUs - so something like a Q6600 is your best bet if your gonna stick with it.

Soldato
Hi...I've got an Asus p5LD2 SE

Unfortunately this board does not support Quads as it's based on the 945 chipset, see the cpu support list here. It also does not support any of the newer 45nm chips either. Your best bet is something like an E6600, which can be had fairly cheaply nowadays (40-50 quidish), either that or you're upgrading your board as well, which is going to cost more than £100.

Associate
OP
thanks for the help guys.

I'm probably going to have to upgrade the whole thing really...board, ram, etc.
Its been 3 years since I've upgraded, so it's about time.

Man of Honour
As coupe69 said - the 945 chipset prolly won't work with a Q6600 - despite the Asus p5LD2 SE originally being advertised as quad core ready... even tho I think unofficially they do support quads (without the correct macrocode) - the VRMs on the board would probably melt trying to supply the current needed.

Back
Top Bottom