• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 965 Idle Temps

Soldato
I have 2 programs that say the temp of my CPU

Asus probe tells me its sat at 29C on idle while AMD OverDrive tells me that all four cores are at 22C. Which should I believe?

Associate
I have 2 programs that say the temp of my CPU

Asus probe tells me its sat at 29C on idle while AMD OverDrive tells me that all four cores are at 22C. Which should I believe?

Unless your room is very cold or you're using some exotic cooling, I doubt very much if your chip is at 22C.

Soldato
OP
Under load they both more or less say the same which is 43C ish. AMD OverDrive reacts a lot faster though.

cputemp.jpg

Soldato
Cores are hottest parts of CPU and should be always clearly above room temperature so values being practically same as it means they lie.

CPU value is temperature from physical CPU package and farther from heat source hence it's always clearly lower than actual core temperatures but at least that's entirely real looking value.

Soldato
Cores are hottest parts of CPU and should be always clearly above room temperature so values being practically same as it means they lie.

CPU value is temperature from physical CPU package and farther from heat source hence it's always clearly lower than actual core temperatures but at least that's entirely real looking value.

wrong mate.

look above, my core temps are lower then the cpu temp, many many other am3 systems are the same..

also this is what amd emailed me about the temperature

Dear Gareth,

Correct, as long as you are within the voltage and temperature guidelines you are ok. The temperature that should be monitored is the overall CPU temperature, not the core temp.

Best regards,

Jesse

AMD Global Customer Care

Last edited:
Associate
wrong mate.

look above, my core temps are lower then the cpu temp, many many other am3 systems are the same..

also this is what amd emailed me about the temperature

You're actually the one that is wrong. The reason that AMD have told you to look at the cpu temp as opposed to the core temp is because it's a well known fact that the phenom 2 core temp sensors lie.

My phenom 2 - if I'm to believe the core temp - is actually below room temperature, which is physically not possible for air cooling.

Have a read up on thermodynamics, please.

Soldato
You're actually the one that is wrong. The reason that AMD have told you to look at the cpu temp as opposed to the core temp is because it's a well known fact that the phenom 2 core temp sensors lie.
im not wrong.

amd says the overall CPU temperature is the most important one not the core temp, for all they chips, not just phenoms II.

many many years ago when i had a Athlon cpu they said the same thing that the overall CPU temperature is the most important one

My phenom 2 - if I'm to believe the core temp - is actually below room temperature, which is physically not possible for air cooling.
maybe thats yours.

but mine is believeable, has my room is around 17c and my core idles at 24-25c so thats 7-8c over room temp..

but thats not the point because the core temp isn't the one you should be looking at.

Last edited:
Associate
im not wrong.

amd says the overall CPU temperature is the most important one not the core temp, for all they chips, not just phenoms II.

many many years ago when i had a Athlon cpu they said the same thing that the overall CPU temperature is the most important one

Yawn. Did you by any chance go and learn about thermodynamics in the last ten minutes? Nope, I didn't think so.

Soldato
Yawn. Did you by any chance go and learn about thermodynamics in the last ten minutes? Nope, I didn't think so.
what is your problem?

just back off..

i'm just saying the overall CPU temperature is the most important one not the core temp, that goes for all amd chips, not just phenoms II.

all amd temps on they site are based on the tcase, not core temp..

i don't really care if the core sensor lies, has thats not the important one.

end of...

Last edited:
Associate
what is your problem?
I don't have one. Just pointing out the fact that you are, indeed wrong.

wrong mate.

just back off..
??

i'm just saying the overall CPU temperature is the most important one not the core temp, that goes for all amd chips, not just phenoms II.
Yip, but you're running a phenom 2... and from the above, you quite clearly believed that your core temps were below the cpu case temp.

If you had an acurate core temp reading, that would be a far more important reading than the CPU case temp reading, as the case isn't generating the heat...

i don't really care if the core sensor lies, has thats not the important one.
see above.

end of...

Soldato
Yip, but you're running a phenom 2... and from the above, you quite clearly believed that your core temps were below the cpu case temp.
:confused:
i said the overall CPU temperature is the most important one, because all they temps on amd site are based on tcare,

even if the core sensor was works, amd don't set max core temps because each chip as it own limit. one chip maybe fine at 75c on the cores, where another chip maybe only fine at 65c

If you had an acurate core temp reading, that would be a far more important reading than the CPU case temp reading, as the case isn't generating the heat...
u can usely work out the real core temp. on my 940 the core temp was about 11 - 13c over the tcare temp.

Last edited:
Associate
I think one is core temp and another is surface temp.

Could you download a software which is named EVEREST to check it?Now I'm using the 1750 edition of it.It is useful.

Back
Top Bottom