• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Help!!

Associate
Right well looking for a new CPU for overclocking/gaming :)
Needs to be 775(P45)

Basically im looking at either the E6500, E7500 or Q8200

Any help on those will be great fully welcome :) or other suggestions

Associate
OP
Well ive now decided to push the boat out and either get a Core 2 Quad Q9400 or a Core 2 Duo E8500.. but not sure which one to get.
One is Quad and other is Duo.. so not sure which one to get. Im just going to be gaming but dont really want to upgrade my proc for a while so what would everyone suggest..

Oh its going with a Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gb ram and a XFX 4850 XXX edition

Soldato
There are plenty of quad vs dual core threads on here that you look at so ill not addess that, however i would advise going with a 8400 these are poping up at under £120 and most will clock to 4ghz so save your money over the 8500 if you go dual:D

Soldato
I still recommend the e8400. The e8500 has an extra x0.5 multiplier, which just makes numbers terribly messy when overclocking, and some boards don't recognise half multipliers so would run it as an e8400 anyway.

Not convinced by quads for desktop use, would take a faster dual core any day.

Associate
I agree with JonJ678's suggestion.

I do not know whether The E6500K(2.93GHZ 2M L2) was on sale in UK or not.If it is.I recommend E6500K.Its multiplier is not locked.

Associate
OP
Well after a few convos with a few people in the IT industry i think im going for the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 as a lot of the 'next gen' games will be making use of 4 cores. And if they only use 2, windows will use the other 2 for it's processes.

Back
Top Bottom