• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

phenom 2 cool n quiet help please

Soldato
Thats wrong because i have upped my voltage to 1.365 from stock and CnQ still works perfect for me.

EDIT: not sure if you mean by dropping voltage and multi because on some off my AMD cpu's CnQ only drops the multi but with my 3500+ is dropped both when overclocked
not wrong.

u have a asus board and most of asus boards the CnQ works when overclocking , including upping the voltage, but on other board makers it doesn't. most likely reason is it could make issues/unstable/limit anoverclock.

Last edited:
Associate
Gareth, I have a very similar motherboard to you, any chance you could let me know the settings you've got in your BIOS to get that chip to 3.7? is it just multiplier upping? What cooling do you use? I'd love to get mine to that speed.

Oh yeah, sorry for hijacking this thread.

Associate
My mainboard is ASrock M3A790GXH/128M.When I overclock my CPU.The selection of CNQ is disappeared in BIOS.So~~~~ I could only use the default clock.

I have asked the support of ASrock.They said update its BIOS from 1.10 to 1.50.The issue will be solved. But I found 1.50 BIOS cannot unlock the 4th core steady.SO....

Anyone has the same problem?

So I do not use CNQ.

Soldato
Gareth, I have a very similar motherboard to you, any chance you could let me know the settings you've got in your BIOS to get that chip to 3.7? is it just multiplier upping? What cooling do you use? I'd love to get mine to that speed.

Oh yeah, sorry for hijacking this thread.
i'm using a Thermalright Ultra-120A

cpu multiplier at 18.5
vcore at 1.4v
fsb at 200
cpu NB voltage at 1.250v for 2.4ghz NB or 1.325v for 2.6ghz NB
ram at 1333mhz 6-6-6-20 1T 1.7V

Associate
Yes same problem with my Gigabyte AM2+ DS4H. It is silly because multiplier overclocking would have no effect on the stability of the system when C&Q makes a change because it only lowers the multiplier back down.

C&Q seems to work if you overclock using the Bus speed and keep the stock multiplier. This can actually cause instability because when C&Q thinks it is setting only 800Mhz 200 x 4 it can be setting 250 x 4 = 1Ghz.

Gigabyte should fix this but in the mean time use K10stat which allows software based multiplier control profiles and voltage control from within windows.

Associate
Yes same problem with my Gigabyte AM2+ DS4H. It is silly because multiplier overclocking would have no effect on the stability of the system when C&Q makes a change because it only lowers the multiplier back down.

C&Q seems to work if you overclock using the Bus speed and keep the stock multiplier. This can actually cause instability because when C&Q thinks it is setting only 800Mhz 200 x 4 it can be setting 250 x 4 = 1Ghz.

Gigabyte should fix this but in the mean time use K10stat which allows software based multiplier control profiles and voltage control from within windows.

It does seem strange given that it would appear some Asus boards can do it. I am certainly no expert but I would have thought that any manual mutliplier/voltage settings could apply when the workload requires the CPU to be running at 100%, and use any default settings when 100% isn't required.

If people after testing find instability they always have the option to turn off cool 'n' quiet.

Associate
It does seem strange given that it would appear some Asus boards can do it.

I find this strange, given that my experience with Asus boards is all terrible. I used to have one, but i gave up on it since their support is awful. I was trying to overclock, but it wouldn't let me increase the voltage beyond 1.3v. This is terrible! Any mention of it to them and they say "this is counted as overclocking" and stop talking to you.

All I can say to that is "Well DUH!" Maybe I want to overclock? It was a board with 'Pro' on the end, so its supposed to be an overclockable board, right? Couldn't get my chip past 3.3Ghz. The moment I change to a gigabyte board, I get it to 3.5 on the same voltage the asus board gave me. ("Auto" put it at 1.4v ish)

Back
Top Bottom