James Cameron's 'Avatar' - The next gen of cinema

Soldato
Avatar: The upcoming science-fiction film from James Cameron.

Oh... You're putting words in large fonts so you must be really clever...

Note: "SCIENCE" not "FANTASY"...

He tends to make films with believable science behind them... Large floating islands would take explaining.

Man of Honour
What examples (plural) do you have of this?
He has written one script that isnt an action film, and that was for the highest grossing film of all time.
So other than that one example of him writing a non action film, what other examples can you give us?

No action film is entirely action, so I was referring to the other bits: comedy, romance, character-setting, etc that appear within any film lumped into the genre "action". And as I said, he's great at directing action, but tends towards saccharine when the romance starts, for instance. And as I've also said, as long as another writer is there to keep him under control, he's usually not too bad. But much of the script of Titanic was laughably bad: loads of "Oirish" clichés, "rich-girl-falls-for-poor-but-honest-boy" clichés, "despicable-rich-boyfriend" clichés. Really, you could have found most of the main plot elements in a a silent film. The Abyss was handled better, but even there the re-burgeoning romance there was subtle as a flying mallet. It is even more cloying in the extended version, where the far-too-cute (looking like angels - really, isn't that just a bit obvious?) aliens replay more of Ed Harris' "last" transmissions.

Subtle is not required for action, and sometimes not for comedy, but it's pretty important for many other bits. And Cameron really struggles with it.

M

Soldato
but it's pretty important for many other bits. And Cameron really struggles with it.

M

Don't really agree... See Bay or Emmerich for true clutsy behaviour.

As a rule Cameron (IMHO) does quite a good job with the character interplay in his films. Think of his films and there tends to be plenty of solid rememberable and most importantly believable characters. Take Aliens for example and every characters is solid and enjoyable...

Sure it's not 'The Pianist' or 'My Left Food', but it's not trying to be...

Associate
It looks to me like George Lucas has tried to remake Fern Gully. While I'm sure it'll be asthetically pleasing, the equipment needed for cinemas to project it in its 'true form' apparently comes to £60k per screen.

So my guess is it'll be a cinematic flop, but a blu-ray bestseller.

Soldato
It looks to me like George Lucas has tried to remake Fern Gully. While I'm sure it'll be asthetically pleasing, the equipment needed for cinemas to project it in its 'true form' apparently comes to £60k per screen.

Our local old six screen cinema had 3D digital projectors put on all its screens many years ago. Our local new ten screen cinema was built with 3D digital projectors on all its screens...

I think you'll find most modern cinemas are already equiped to handle Avatar...

Soldato
OP

A huge reason why this is predicted to be a big success is that people will flock to the cinema for the immersive 3D experience you can't get at home.

Associate
those damn blue Indians.

It's just a Sci-Fi Cowboys and Indians isn't it?

Yes, or alternatively the conquest of South America. But imho, anything which helps the mainstream public to realise how much greed and big business has shafted people and communities is a much needed wake-up call.

Permabanned
It looks like a below-average episode of SG1 but with $100m spent on CGI.

This is possibly the most over-hyped film ever.

Soldato
I'm going to go and watch this at IMAX. I think that the film's greatest strength is going to be in the experience of watching it and as such, I want my experience to be as awesome as possible.

Back
Top Bottom