windows 7 freezing

Associate
OP
ok i just loaded up cpu-z and got ram timings of 5-5-5-18 but according to corsair website it should be 5-5-5-15. would this be enough to set it off as im no to hot on OC'ing etc

Associate
OP
ok well i left my computer on all night downloading and its still working with no freezes this moring which is by far and away the longest period it has worked for without crashing, think this has solved it

fingers crossed

Associate
ok well i left my computer on all night downloading and its still working with no freezes this moring which is by far and away the longest period it has worked for without crashing, think this has solved it

fingers crossed

Did you changed your clocks to stock clocks? If so, I think it might be my problem aswell.

Soldato
Sounds like the same symptoms I'm having. For me it seems to be a particular hard disk that's causing the problem. I'll look into the RAM timings thing. But if that's the problem, why does it only happen on the one hard disk?

Associate
Well I have the same problems, my computer seem to freeze.

No sound or restart... so it might be my memory.
And most of the time I have it while my computer is downloading a movie from "youtube" etc.

Permabanned
ok i just loaded up cpu-z and got ram timings of 5-5-5-18 but according to corsair website it should be 5-5-5-15. would this be enough to set it off as im no to hot on OC'ing etc

5-5-5-18 was fine, very little difference between that and 5-5-5-15. There is no problem with running slacker timings than the manufacturer states. It's only when you run tighter timings that you might have problems but even then, most RAM has some significant headroom before that would happen.

Do make sure you are putting enough voltage through the RAM, often the default isn't enough for 100% stability so you might need to increase from 1.8 to 1.9 or 2.0v, or even higher.

Soldato
This is happening to me as well, 2 separate builds, in fact I thought it was duff memory in the older pc that made me upgrade to i5. The only things that are the same in that build are 880 GTS, PSU and hard drives.

I read elsewhere about the power settings, this seems to have helped a bit, also people mentioned it could be MSN messenger, I have disabled it and the freezes are less frequent now, sometimes I can go days without it happening, others it will happen 2 or 3 times a day.

It doesn't seem to be anything particular that causes it, although when i was using Firefox that seemed to cause it to freeze, however I have just been browsing folders or watching a avi film (sound still plays for a few seconds and then stutters and freezes) and it will do it.

Will probably revert back to Vista as this is a PITA, I'm still using the 7100 build however this was fine on my laptop before it died on me.

Dirtydog has that sorted your problem out? I haven't overclocked my system but I havent checked timings are normal.

Associate
BruceLee, my problems appear to have been caused by an out of date motherboard bios, when I flashed it to the new one Windows automatically re-installed the hard-drive controller drivers.

Your problem sounds similar to mine - I would get it whilst surfing online and when occasionally copying files, so check to make sure you have the most up-to-date bios (obviously be careful as it can kill a motherboard if the flashing goes wrong) and see if there are any updated drivers for the hdd controllers.

Soldato
BruceLee, my problems appear to have been caused by an out of date motherboard bios, when I flashed it to the new one Windows automatically re-installed the hard-drive controller drivers.

Your problem sounds similar to mine - I would get it whilst surfing online and when occasionally copying files, so check to make sure you have the most up-to-date bios (obviously be careful as it can kill a motherboard if the flashing goes wrong) and see if there are any updated drivers for the hdd controllers.

Hi, thanks for that, I updated all of my motherboard drivers last night and changed memory settings to the recommended ones, auto settings on the motherboard were set slower than they should be, so far not had any freezes but will wait and see if this works.

I'm really wary to flash my BIOS as I've been fairly unlucky previously so would only use that as a last resort :)

Back
Top Bottom