450d or older higher spec?

Associate
I have the cash available to get a new 450d with the kit lens, and it suddenly (about 5 mins ago) hit me that this isnt necesarily the best choice.

For the same cash I guess I could get a 30d plus a lens, or certainly a 20d with a lens. I am a confidant photographer but way out of practise (My Olympus OM10 was my constant companion many years ago)

I need a dSLR with a lens (will pick up the nifty 50 1.8 but a zoom would be a good buy with the camera) but have everything else I could need pretty much.

So, any advice welcome, I am not 100% a canon person either, so if a second hand good quality Nikon would be the best buy I am happy to consider it :) I mainly shoot black and white, moody landscapes, abstract close-ups, and the occasional street photography.

Associate
OP
£400 to £500 without the nifty probably, but including a kit lens/small zoom although obviously if it was to include the nifty I wouldn't turn it down :)

Associate
I guess the 40D crew is still at work :D. The general opinion on this forum is that a second hand 40D is a better buy than a new XXXD I think.

Associate
Logic says to me that if you could afford a better model with the money you have available to you, go for it. If you're just starting off / only been doing it for a while though don't jump straight into the really expensive pro bodies.

Associate
OP
I think I have decided on a secnd hand 40d - I have £500 for body and a lens which should be enough. Any advice on places to try gratefully accepted, largely looking on a popular auction site at the mo :)

Associate
OP
yeah the ones on Talkphoto are either out of my range, or have all been snapped up. Im watching a few on the popular aution site though, so hopeful I will get one in my price range. I am prepared to wait for the right one for me :)

In the meatime if anyone knows someone who wants to sell :D

Back
Top Bottom