Lighting a group of 5

Soldato
Hi all,

I have a shoot coming up this Saturday with 5 girl friends (as in, they are friends that are girls). They want some fun photos of them all together so that they can frame some and give them as Christmas presents to one another.

So, I will have an assistant with me and I'm thinking that for ease of movement and getting different shots quickly, it would be easier if I have my assistant holding a big shoot through umbrella for me (rather than having it on a lightstand).

My question though, will one umbrella be enough to light 5 people? I do have another light if required, and I might have this bare at the back opposite to the umbrella for some rim lighting. But ideally having one light which is held by the person helping me would make my life much easier.

Any thoughts?
Tips on posing 5 people at once would also help :)

Snigger, you do know this thread is going to get loads of TTIUWP and lesbo comments, but hey ho thats ocuk for you.

As for how much light you will need I guess it depends how close/far away they are from each other and how light the room is.

But I'm sure you will be able to get some decent results going by your other shoots.

Soldato
OP
Oh don't worry I'll post the pictures up when I get them, assuming the weather doesn't ruin it all.

I've only ever lit one person though, which is why I am a little concerned. I've only really used a softbox for lighting people, which obviously gives a more concentrated light with less fall off. I'm hoping that by using an umbrella from a fairly front on angle I should get a decent enough light coverage to get them all lit up nicely.

Does my logic sound right?

Soldato
OP
If I do decide to use my second flash would you suggest going for a cross lighting setup? So one to the right front and one to left front?

Trouble is I have a softbox and a umbrella, the softbox is definitely not big enough to light 5 people. Which is why I was thinking of having the 2nd flash bare at a distance to fill in some of the darker areas.

Unfortunately I'm not a lighting expert so I can't quite picture in my mind how this will work out.

Soldato
You've not mentioned what the background will be and where the shadows will end up falling.

As an idea to throw out there, I'd suggest putting the primary flash bare behind you and to one side, zoomed out to cover the area you need. Then I'd crosslight with the second flash on the umbrella just to fill in the gaps. Of course, this may fail spectacularly and give you horrible shadows, but that's how I'm seeing it.

*edit* just re-read, you've got one flash and one light? How bright / wide is the second light?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would suggest using 2. One either side of you and the camera in the middle. both pointing towards the center of the group. Should light things nicely for you.

Do you want to borrow a brollie?

JSW

JSW

Associate
Depends a lot on how your going to pose your group, are you going to have them running around throwing leaves at each other or get them close together.

I know this is children but this sort of pose you will get away with a single brolly

dsc63003.jpg

If your going to have them more active i'd go with 2

Associate
I second the idea of using 2 guns with brollies to provide cross lighting asI can imagine it being a tad difficult to light 5 people wel with only one light source. Obviously, this will depend on the space you're shooting in and what, if any, ambient light is available and also will depend on the kind of shots you're after.

Back
Top Bottom