• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5890 with Nvidia Phsyx card

Associate
is it possible to get a ati HD 5890 and one of them Phsyx cards working together its just batman arkham asylum looks so much better with the extra features that nvidia payed the devleopers to put in to favour there card over ati.

or will there be problems getting them to work ?

Associate
OP
sorry i meant a 5870 too many diff chipset names

so i need to buy a nvidia card with physx built in (i have a 5870 and p55 mobo) or with a dedidcated psysx card , which is the best way to do it.

thanks

Associate
Dedcated PhysX cards are not supported anymore by NV drivers. You'll have to get an NV graphics card that supports Cuda & set it to just compute PhysX in the driver control panel. Anything onwards from the 8 series of GPUs will work. With some people reccomending the 9600 GSO as the sweet spot.

Soldato
Do you know what the replay value of batman AA is? zero, your investing in physx for one game that you will play through once and forget about, all other physx titles suck, do yourself a favor and buy something worth buying.:)

Associate
i'v got to agree with RavenX, i was seriously considering an ATI / nvidia PhysX setup, but i looked at the list of games that acctualy use phys X and i dont own or intend on ever owning them (or similar titles that are yet to be released)

the only game on there that i would ever consider playin is UT3, and i doubt theres gonna be any batmanesque physX paper / tin cans flying about.

ill save the "nvidia are retards with physX" speech ;) but think what the gaming experience COULD be like with all games and hardware supporting this tech

Associate
A lot of games seem to be using PhysX lately.

Ive been considering buying a 9600 for a while. I do really like the look of Batman with I enabled too...

NFS: Shift uses PhysX (although I read somewhere it was only a software version. Not sure on the truth of this)
Borderlands installs PhysX although I've not seen any use of it ingame.
Dreamkiller & Painkiller: Resurrection both use it (I know they are not exactly AAA titles but still...)
I was reading up on Metro 2033 earlier on Kotaku & that's going to incorporate it too.

It seems like all the games Nvidia manges to get TWIMTBP on are going to use it to some degree.

If it's gong to add extra eye candy or help my fps I'm all up for it. If I wasn't up for it & eye candy & smooth gameplay weren't things I like then I'd just buy an Xbox & sell my PC...

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you know what the replay value of batman AA is? zero, your investing in physx for one game that you will play through once and forget about, all other physx titles suck, do yourself a favor and buy something worth buying.:)

Aye, I've gotta agree. It was OK first time round, but then I lost my savegames and I cba playing it anymore. It's quite a shallow game really.

Nvidia making a song and dance about it is just fail tbh - the PhysX effects are almost totally superfluous and add very little.

All Unreal 3 Engine games support it by default which might be why Borderlands requires it.

Soldato
Quite a few games use PhysX that I would like to play and haven't yet...

Batman: Dark Asylum

Mirror's Edge

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas

Trine

And those are just the ones I know off the top of my head. So personally I'm going for a 5850 Crossfire setup and installing the 8800GT when playing PhysX enabled games. ;)

Most of the time I won't have it in the system though, as it limits the second 5850 to x8 bandwidth.

Soldato
Associate
Not all games give you the option to turn PhysX on or off. ATI users will always see an increase in FPS in these titles as the PhysX calculations will now be performed by a GPU rather than the CPU...

Associate
i was lucky to get a 9800 which is going in nmy current pc butthen may go into my new pc if i get a dx 11 NV card later on. not sure tho if having a nv dx11 card and a 9800 pysx card will work together tho. as may need a dx11 pysx ccard ?.

Associate
I still have my old 8800gtx back from the days when it was king. Gosh that card lasted me a long time...

Anyway, reckon I should throw it in for dedicated PhysX purposes alongside my 5870?

Associate
blatant lie there. every review you go out and see shows that adding a dedicated card for physx INCREASES performance.

how no one else has spotted your trolling and lies in this thread is shocking to say the least.

isnt it more to do with HOW its used? i.e. in batman physX would lower fps due to all that debree that has to be added (also assuming were on about physX cards not dedicated but integrated) where as if physX aided with heavey calculations then it would be higher?

well i dunno...lol

Back
Top Bottom