• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MMORPG destroys my HD 4870?!

Associate
This morning my graphics card from an ATi Radeon X1960 Pro 256mb to an XFX ATi Radeon HD 4870 1gb.

I installed the new card. Windows 7 detected the card and installed a Microsoft Driver. Worked fine but I upgraded to the ATi Catalyst 9.10 (driver only).

With everything good to go, I've logged into World of Warcraft, cranked my settings to max (all bar Multi-sampling which I believe is AA and AF) and my FPS has plummeted to 15?!

I was under the impression WoW was far from graphically taxing, even with max settings?!

Current resoution is 1920 x 1200

Is something wrong?

My rig is as follows:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition
Asus P35C-DS3R RevA2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5
4 x 1Gb GEIL DDR2-800

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
This morning my graphics card from an ATi Radeon X1960 Pro 256mb to an XFX ATi Radeon HD 4870 1gb.

I installed the new card. Windows 7 detected the card and installed a Microsoft Driver. Worked fine but I upgraded to the ATi Catalyst 9.10 (driver only).

With everything good to go, I've logged into World of Warcraft, cranked my settings to max (all bar Multi-sampling which I believe is AA and AF) and my FPS has plummeted to 15?!

I was under the impression WoW was far from graphically taxing, even with max settings?!

Current resoution is 1920 x 1200

Is something wrong?

My rig is as follows:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition
Asus P35C-DS3R RevA2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5
4 x 1Gb GEIL DDR2-800

Thanks
Have you uninstalled drivers and reinstalled?

Are you sure you internet connection isnt the problem,if you have a high ping bad connection that would make you fps drop.

Oh i see your from plymouth ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
go to graphics settings and turn shadow off , this game is really badly coded it hardly uses your gpu , mostly your cpu that does the work with it try that

Associate
Delete or rename your Interface and WTF folders in your wow directory and run the game.
You will need to setup your video and sound options again but see if that sorts it.

Chris

bru

bru

Soldato
Go and set your graphics settings back to what they were before you installed the new card, check to see what the improvement is over your old graphics card. now you can start to turn settings up a bit, again check your results.....and so on.

As has been said wow is very cpu intensive at higher resolutions and higher graphical settings.

what settings where you running it at before the graphic card upgrade...?

im running it at 1900*1200 full settings with 4*multisampleing and it still drops to 25 fps in places. on a [email protected] 4gb ram bfg gtx260 oc2

what is your q6600 running at....?

Associate
I run an HD4870 512mb and get 60+ easily old world stuff full settings. That drops 30 or so in outlands (depending how populated **** is sometimes lower) and single digits in northend. The new content doesnt seem more detailed or populated but it gives crappy frames

Associate
I had stuttering and I got 4870 512mb but I reinstalled windows 64 HP to my other hard drive and worked fine since.

Last edited:
Soldato
After playing the game a little more, there is definitely something not right. Graphics card is stuttering where the previous card wasn't. Anyone know of any known problems with HD 4870 X64 drivers and games?

no problems when i had a 4870 and i used win XP X64 and vista with any games apart from F.E.A.R.

have you even checked you internet connection like i said earlier in this thread a bad internet connection or ping would cripple fps in wow.

Soldato
no problems when i had a 4870 and i used win XP X64 and vista with any games apart from F.E.A.R.

have you even checked you internet connection like i said earlier in this thread a bad internet connection or ping would cripple fps in wow.

How would a poor net connection affect his FPS? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom