• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 'Black Edition' Quad Core CPU New 125w Model - HDZ965FBGMBOX

Associate
Any news on the new AMD Phenom II X4 965 'Black Edition' Quad Core CPU New 125w Model - HDZ965FBGMBOX, seen other competitors with these, just curious to see when OcUK are going to have these to purchase :)

Soldato
There is a 975 coming out aswell that's clocked to 3.6, might be an idea to wait for that? (I've no idea if it's 140w or 125w though).

Soldato
There is a 975 coming out aswell that's clocked to 3.6, might be an idea to wait for that? (I've no idea if it's 140w or 125w though).
i don't think it'll oc higher than a 965 C3 because the 965 C3 can do 3.6 easy, so i think the 975 will be a 965 but just clocked slighty higher.

Soldato
Mine certainly does, it's totally stable and has been for the 2-3 weeks I've been testing it with the standard CPU frequency and the multiplier upped to 19, but as soon as I go to 19.5 or increase the CPU frequency to 205mhz, it tops out.

Kinda wish I'd done some research and waited now... Although it is more than powerful enough for me, and it's completely stable and never goes over 50C, even when the rooms hot.

Although it would have been nice to join the 4ghz club... :(

Associate
guru3d:

"The Phenom II X4 965BE is definitely good enough to power up such a stallion of a GPU, but as the Core i7 series proves, it can be done better. Up-to say, a Radeon HD 4890 or GeForce GTX 285, you'll hardly notice a difference processor wise. But the new high-end generation GPUs or multi-GPU solutions do like faster processors, and as you have been able to see, the Core i7 does outclass the Phenom II X4 965BE"

great read that article for me it really has drawn some perspective on i5/i7 and amd series. For the price ( £140-£150 ?) OC`d to 4GHZ you can get some really nice performance and in most tests for gaming its close to the i7 940 which is £340 and the test is being run on a £80 mobo.

having said all that, i feel that newer games like resident evil 5 are the first to really get coded for hyper threading and multicore properly and we may see some new games pulling that same huge 25FPS difference over even the highest Quad core OC`d 965 @ 4.0GHZ so for the future especially considering eyefinity (from same company) some new CPU`s to help the GPU`s would be welcome as it would seem that they are presenting a bottle neck for these new generation of cards.

i know its ace VFM and PFM and im looking at going AMD way, but i think i will wait for the 6 core design to see if this helps as 25fps+ lost on a tri-scren setup is between 8 and 10frames a second per screen and a cpu would have to last me 3-4years

Last edited:
Associate
I only bought a 965BE last week DOH! But rock stable 3.8 on stock volts at
47 degrees is not to bad, I got it for £135 delivered brand new retail pack from another online store.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom