Stormtroopers (Macro)

Soldato
PB050844.jpg

PB050851-Edit.jpg

PB050853.jpg

PB050856-2.jpg

PB050856.jpg

Just playing around with macro shots of my new little toys... not very original but it's more experimenting before I think of more 'positions' for them :)

C&C please.

Associate
Have a look on Flickr, there are loads of people doing these. The key is to finding something a little bit original. I would say find a theme and go from there. I quite like the one of some dude who has taken the shot on Oxford Street with his Stormie holding a 'Golf Sale' sign. :)

Soldato
OP
Have a look on Flickr, there are loads of people doing these. The key is to finding something a little bit original. I would say find a theme and go from there. I quite like the one of some dude who has taken the shot on Oxford Street with his Stormie holding a 'Golf Sale' sign. :)

I've just seen some of them whilst looking around at what things people did with their legos... will have to play around more indeed. Fireworks tonight might be a good place to try next :)

Soldato
Dude, what are you shooting with? I thought you sold all your gear?

The pics are ace. I've been looking for similar "toys" to play with, as I love how you can capture the illusion of emotion in them.

Soldato
OP
Nice set of photos, I wouldn't call them macro though because they don't show anything your eye can't make out anyway.

Btw, where can I get some too? :p
eBay was my only source as any other place either have them at ridiculous £££ or they don't sell them individually. Mind you, many eBay sellers are selling them at £4+ each! I got mine for about £2.50 each - I'm still considering more... 9 of them can't make a big enough army :p

I do agree, it's not macro up to an extend but these shots, especially those in OP were only slightly cropped. I was pretty close but not close to 1:1.

Dude, what are you shooting with? I thought you sold all your gear?

The pics are ace. I've been looking for similar "toys" to play with, as I love how you can capture the illusion of emotion in them.

Been shooting Olympus E series for awhile now but only recently got enough moola to upgrade up to their pro lens range and not looked back since. Satisfied with my gear, just need to concentrate on actually shooting quality, composed images. Toys make good subjects till I get more chances with live models.

I have students wanting me to shoot them since I've advertised myself to shoot for free on the community! Practice time :)

Caporegime
They are excellent, I really like the ones where they are crowded round the downed trooper. Now for the noob question, how do you get items that close together and focus on one and blurred on the very trooper next to him?

Is that single point focus or some other mastery of the force I have yet to learn :)

Soldato
OP
It's to do with DoF (Depth of Field)
I shot in quite wide aperture, f2.8, this gives me tighter DoF to play with and thus, able to focus on specific area I want. Some cameras have a lot of focus points and it's handy for Auto-Focus but when shooting stuff like that, I like manual focusing. Much better control. (Downside is, it can be slower as my eye sight isn't the best these days)

Back
Top Bottom