Windows 7 no internet connection on boot.

Caporegime
Find out who makes your ethernet card

Get the latest driver from the ethernet card maker's website

Install, reboot

I'm having the same issue and that works for me until I reboot again and then I have no internet at all. My mate has a similar issue that only occurred for him after a installed MS update.

I've rolled back drivers and exhausted all the Asus and Marvell drivers and it still happens on each reboot. Reinstall the driver and the network instantly returns.

I read that windows 7 forum above as there are pages of people with the same or similar issues and nobody seems to have a fix that works for long.

Clearly theres an issue that needs sorting. I've gone back to XP until a fix comes out.

Soldato
My ethernet adapter is onboard the mobo. The manufacturer for the ethernet controller don't release drivers for onboard ethernet, you have to go to the mobo manufacturer. Asus still haven't released WIN7 drivers, and the Vista 64 ones are what i already use.

Just a case of waiting i guess!

Associate
OP
I have now tried the latest drivers and switching off the power management options which has improved things but it is still not right. It probably works 75% of the time I boot my machine but the rest of the time I still have no network connection and have to reboot the router, very infuriating! :mad:

Associate
These sort of issues have 'plagued' both Vista and 7. One article I came across was this recently, this usually does the trick...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

The other thing is, if you lookin Network & Sharing centre, it's likely to say you have network access (with a self asigned IP 169.254.x.x) but no internet access.

If you diagnose, the result will likely to be "DHCP is disabled" and then MS provides a fix for it, allow it to fix it, and it should work. Did for me (I guess this is what the MS link is above).

Edit: Just realised this little line at the bottom
Note: This issue does not occur in Windows 7. The registry key DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle is set to 1 by default.

You could try turning this registry entry OFF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

Value name: DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag
Value type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0

This will turn the DCHP Broadcast flag off.

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like the issue I had. I would boot up windows 7 (64 pro) and I was connected to an 'unidentified network'. If I disabled my ethernet adaptor and then re-enabled it, everything would be fine and the 'unidentified network' dissaperared.

What worked for me:

Bonjour DNS service caused my problem (think it is installed with apple software, itunes in my case). To stop it:

click start
type in services.msc in the search box and hit enter
if you have an entry something like ##Id_string1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5B... then double click it to open its properties
on the General tab, change startup type to Disabled
now reboot and see if you now connect to the Internet on boot

Associate
my pleasure :)

After I fixed my issue, I had a further issue that though the Internet would connect on boot, it took a while for it to connect (30 seconds or more) - the network icon in the system tray had a blue circle on it during this time (I presume it reflected the windows 7 egg-timer graphic). I eventually found that that kservice had got corrupted somehow, possibly related to disabling Bonjour DNS service and a winsock confusion somewhere. When I uninstalled Sky Player (which uses kservice, BBC iPlayer also uses it if you have the installed version) the delay was gone and my network/Internet connected within a few seconds. I havn't reinstalled Sky Player yet as I need to contact sky to change the machine I have it installed on (same machine but different OS, what a pain), but I'm sure it will be fine when I do reinstall it.

I did uninstall Bonjour trying to fix this delayed connection problem (which didn't fix it of course, uninstalling Sky Player and thus kservice fixed it), there can't be any harm leaving on your system other than it being extra clutter, if you want to remove it just say and I will post how I did it (involves a few elevated shell commands and resetting the TCP/IP winsock stack).

Soldato
Just denying the Bonjour service at startup was enough to stop it happening so i wont go messing around any further.

Do you know if that will effect my itunes in any way? I dont download music through it, but occasional software updates and music transfer to my iPod are regular.

Edit - it's ok, i see it's something to do with Zero Connectivity with Adobes Creative suite. I'll remove it completely tonight.

Last edited:
Associate
stopping the service should have no effect on iTunes. The service is apparently used for finding and managing connections to servers on a network for certain apple software, so if you do not use iTunes on your computer to access shares of music across a network then you shouldn't notice any difference. If you get any problems post back here and I'll look into it, so far i've had no issues at all.

here is the wikipedia page for bonjour if you are interested

Associate
Edit - it's ok, i see it's something to do with Zero Connectivity with Adobes Creative suite. I'll remove it completely tonight.

no problems, just for reference here is how I removed Bonjour service:

(this presumes that Bonjour is installed on the C:\ partition of a 64bit Windows 7 machine)

click start
type cmd into the search box (dont press enter)
at the top of the start menu, right-click the cmd application and select 'Run as Administrator'
in the command window enter this command: cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour"
then this command: mDNSResponder.exe -remove
then this command: regsvr32 /u mdnsNSP.dll
now reboot your computer
now you can delete the Bonjour folder (C:\Program Files(x86)\Bonjour)

finally you want to reset the TCP/IP winsock stack as it contains some Bonjour entries:

click start
type cmd into the search box (dont press enter)
at the top of the start menu, right-click the cmd application and select 'Run as Administrator'
in the command window enter this command: netsh winsock reset
reboot your computer

that should be it :)

Associate
i had the same issue once i let windows update my drivers!!!

never again!!!

just had to do a system restore then disable the lan chip in the bios save and restart then log bk onto the bios and enable it again and it works fine now.

windows.......

Associate
following on from my journey with windows 7 lol

phoned sky today and they allowed me to reset which machine I can install sky player on. I reinstalled Sky Player and logged in ok. After a reboot I found I had the same 30 second wait for my network to connect. Also, windows live messenger (msn) crashed when first lauching it. A google revealed others having msn crashes, but no reference to a solution. I uninstalled Sky Player again and the msn crashes have gone, and my network connects straight away again upon boot.

Then I find that sky player is incorporated into Windows Media Center (which ships with most versions of windows 7), but is not yet available (you will see it in WMC but you get a kind of coming-soon screen when you click on it). So it seems that Sky Player works in windows 7, but you may get annoying msn crashes and experience a long wait after boot to connect to your network in windows 7.

If anyone else is using the local version of Sky Player on windows 7 (i'm on pro 64) would like to know if you have any similar issues.

Soldato
I had this problem well before bonjour/itunes was installed. That's not it here (service is disabled anyway).

Associate
what are your symptoms KPeh? can you describe what happens on boot, is your network connection not connected (red cross on network icon) or are you connected to an 'unidentified connection' ?

Back
Top Bottom