Low blood sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not strictly sports related but probably get the best audience in here...

OK my entire life i've had a major sweet tooth. I'd munch my way through sweets and cakes all day long given the opertunity. Never caused any weight issues as I do a huge amount of cycling. For various resons i've decided to cut it all out and adopt a healthier diet. Been doing this for the last month or so and have started to suffer from the symptoms of low blood sugar. Assume this is due to the sudden lack of sugars in my diet. Theres been a couple of times when it's been quite bad an hour or two after a meal and I've come pretty close to passing out:eek: A quick mars bar always sorts it out.

Anyway, what should I be doing to combat this? perhaps it would have been better to slowly reduce my sugar intake rather than suddenly cut it out?

Soldato
OP
Eat more complex carbs, slow energy releasing foods?

Have a banana perhaps when you feel like your blood sugars are low.

Ye thats probably the best solution. Will try getting sugars by eating fruits instead of sweets for a while as well.

Go to your GP.

No need for a GP as it's just my body adjusting to a new diet. I just had a class 2 medical as i'm learning to fly so theres no health issues at all.

Associate
If you've changed your diet that massively then perhaps seeing a dietician/nutritionist for a consultation may help. If you're body is used to a high level of sugars cutting them out can cause a variety of problems as mentioned eating more fruit is an easy way of combating the problem, but if it's coming to the point you're almost fainting I would reccommend talking through it in more detail especially if you're operating aircraft!

Man of Honour
Id definately recommend a trip to the gp, after a month your body should have adjusted enough to stop any major things like wanting to pass out.

Soldato
OP
The passing out was a few days after I stopped eating sugar. Not nearly as bad now. I've a doctors apointment to get my knee looked at soon anyway so will ask his advice then. Should imagine it will just be that I shouldnt have changed my diet so suddenly though.

Cheers for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom