Your bizarre quirks/traits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Here is an odd one for you

I have a distinct hatred for currents and sultanas, I don’t know when it happened, but I cant eat anything which contains them and if anyone brings them near me I run a mile, Piggymon & Scarlet have seen me run like hell when currents come out, but i have never been able to figure out why, lol

Also, when trying to get to sleep at night i sometimes start dreaming of driving a car somewhere and my legs will start to do the actions as if im breaking and pressing the clutch etc, lord knows why.

Finishing what people are about to say (i know its anoying) in my head or outloud, or saying the same thing as someone else at the same time when you didnt even know what the other person is thinking of, when it happens loads of times in the same night it starts to get a bit spooky.

Gilly you are not alone in counting stairs, i dont do it anymore but i always used to do it when i was younger, somewhere allong the line i just stopped doing it without realising.

Soldato
Oh God, Sp00n I do precisely the same thing with the lampposts and windscreen wipers and have done ever since I can remember, especially on long journeys when my parents were driving...

Soldato
Originally posted by Wainson
When I see somebody say that, I ALWAYS check the times to see if they're the same - I've seen people do it with 2+ minutes in between! :eek:
Sometimes this is because someone can press the quote button instead of the edit button, which makes a new post rather than editing the original, and you can't delete your own posts so your left just to edit the 2nd post - this is usually why there is a gap of a few minutes, its happened to me so I know from experience. :)

Soldato
Originally posted by Bobcat
Finishing what people are about to say (i know its anoying) in my head or outloud, or saying the same thing as someone else at the same time when you didnt even know what the other person is thinking of, when it happens loads of times in the same night it starts to get a bit spooky.

I do that one to. Mainly because my mum tends to stop halfway through sentences. It's not as annoying as people who just start a conversation halfway through as if your supposed to know what they're talking about. e.g. "How was it then?"

Soldato
Originally posted by burns_2k
...It's not as annoying as people who just start a conversation halfway through as if your supposed to know what they're talking about. e.g. "How was it then?"

LOL, my mother does that, really annoying.

This thread is amazing, I can relate to just about everything people have posted.

Associate
Originally posted by burns_2k
The only unmentioned one is when in a car (not whilst driving;) ) I'll find a bit of dirt or drop of rain on the windscreen and then line it up with the gutter or lines in the centre of the road, then try and keep it there. Great fun, untill people notice your head waggling all over the place.

Oh God, I do this so much, even occasionally when I'm driving! It got to the point where my parents thought I had something wrong with my eyes as I'd keep closing one and opening the other to see where the raindrop had moved to, then move my head to get it in the right place. Sometimes I try and 'bounce' a raindrop so that it goes over the top of every lampost, tend to get quite annoyed with myself (and the raindrop) if I don't make it. Sometimes I'll put on the wipers to teach it a lesson.

When I'm driving I'll often talk myself through everything I do, ie sounds like it needs to change up a gear, foot off the accelerator, clutch down, change gear, foot off the clutch, down with the accelerator. Congratulations, now do it again etc. Must look like I have a hands free kit. When I'm with someone else I just mumble.

When coming out of sleep while travelling I'll often mumble something quite strange. Coming home the other day I woke up and quite clearly remember saying: 'Did anyone have to stop for the man on the train with the plane and the crane? Crane? Hah, that's actually very funny. Crane... Hah' Still get odd looks on that bus.

We've got a fire poker in a cylindrical holder at home and every night for some stupidily long amount of time I try and move it around the holder without it coming away from the edge, with my foot.

I find it very difficult to walk down stairs without jumping the last three or four steps, likewise I cannot walk up stairs slowly, but I only ever double step on staircases that I know well. I know that almost falling down the stairs feeling as well, feels strangely 'right'.

Whenever a car passes me in the opposite direction, I try and get a look inside it, and see the people etc. I then act out in my head what's going on in the car and what people are saying to each other etc. Can get some quite interesting situations going on.

I don't so much plan conversations, but work through everything I'm going to say. For instance, before I go to a lesson I'll figure out what I want to say and to who. I'll get incredibly annoyed if I don't get to say it. Strange thing is, I'm good at thinking on my feet and don't struggle to make conversation, so I don't know why I do it.

I love cracking my fingers and toes. First thing I do in the morning, and the last thing I do at night. I can click them in oh so many ways, and each feels better on different finders. I can't stop doing it, my fingers just don't feel right unless they've been clicked. Strangely, I do this with my elbow as well, only the left one mind, and only in the shower in the mornings.

I like putting one leg out from under the duvet at night, but I can't sleep like it, so I have to go to sleep feeling slightly uncomfortable.

I chew the inside of my mouth as well, in fact I've just realised that I'm doing it now while jogging my right leg up and down into the desk violently. I'll quit often just swivel 360 degrees on my chair for no apparent reason and then just carry on with whatever I was doing as if nothing had happened.

I can start listening to what someone is saying, and get distracted by something very tiny, like a hair out of place on their head, and miss everything they say despite the fact that I'm looking at them. In the same way I start to think how I'm going to reply before they finish speaking, so I miss what they say. Quite often I'll just stop listening to people as I think I know what they are going to say, realise that they've stopped talking and are waiting for a responce, and not be able to give one. Normally just nod.

I can think about things for hours, be they important or useless, but as soon as I think about something else, I forget what I thought about for so long. I then spend ages trying to think what it was I was thinking about, despite the fact that I know it wasn't worth thinking about in the first place. Normally I'll wake up in the middle of the night with the answer, and then I'll have forgotten it again in the morning.

I'll itch when I'm not itching. I'll cough when I don't need to cough. I'm ask someone to repeat something when I heard it perfectly. I'll give an answer even when I know I've got another better one.

Perhaps most strangely though, I twirl the hair on my sideburns!

Associate
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun!
I flush the loo before i am finished peeing (bad habit). My instinct told me i would save time, but when i thought about it, it made no sense.

I do this, and some of my mates do as well.

I do the skateboard thing as do most of us.

On a similar vein to the raindrop on the windscreen thing...If i see a plane through the gaps in my vertical blinds, i will move my head so that it looks like the plane isn't moving.

I i am walking towards a door that someone ahead of me has opened and let go, i'll try and slip through the decreasing gap, Indiana Jones style, rather than open the door fully again.

I bite the skin from inside my cheeks.

Man of Honour
I count the number of items people have in their baskets at the '10 items or less' checkout when shopping. I would like to devise some sort of alarm system that sounds when they have 11 or more so the whole store would be informed of their arrogance:)

Soldato
If i see the time 22:21, or 11:10, i must wait and see it change to all the numbers together. 22:22, or 11:11 etc. If not, i will DIE*!!!!

*May not be 100% true.

Associate
I have one that I can blame squarely on a teacher at school...gave us one of those "it's nearly the end of term and I can't be arsed to give you work" type brain teasers.

We had to come up with as many words as possible with two meanings, either spelled the same or differently, didn't matter, but they had to sound phonetically exactly the same, so:

they're; there; their <--- all fine and dandy
pen (as in biro); pen (as in play pen) <-- fine and dandy
here;hear <--- yup, all good

but...

hair and heir wouldn't count, as heir has a silent H so doesn't sound precisely the same.

That was about 20 years ago, and I still find myself looking for words with 2 meanings...blooming teacher mentally scarred me for life.
:rolleyes:

Soldato
Originally posted by SideBurns
Oh God, I do this so much, even occasionally when I'm driving! It got to the point where my parents thought I had something wrong with my eyes as I'd keep closing one and opening the other to see where the raindrop had moved to, then move my head to get it in the right place.

Great fun isn't it, must be somthing about the name :D.

Wej

Wej

Associate
Originally posted by Carter
I read things backwards, I'm very good at manipulating words in my head, I like to do anagrams of things I read on wagons/trucks etc whilst driving.

I do a similar thing, but I make as many words as possible out of a long word or pair of words, especially when I'm waiting.

Also (and there is no nice way to say this), I count up very fast on the toilet when I'm doing a number 2, usually in thousands :eek: :confused:

Wej

Wej

Associate
Originally posted by JohnnyG
I count the number of items people have in their baskets at the '10 items or less' checkout when shopping. I would like to devise some sort of alarm system that sounds when they have 11 or more so the whole store would be informed of their arrogance:)

lol - you'd get a vote from me...

I also do the raindrop/car type thing, but also other similar things out of windows (not just car windows), like moving my head until 2 objects line up exactly and then keeping it there.

Soldato
Reading this thread is quite amazing.

Quite a few of the things that have been mentioned are also things I do.

The most noticable of these include:

• Counting the number of stairs, and going up in pairs
  • When walking on a surfice with paving slabs, I can't stand on the lines
  • When laid in bed at night, if I look at the clock and it's sat 01:56am, I have to close my eyes and not look at the clock again until I can be confident it is past 2am or else I will die or something nasty (see other person above!)
  • Posters in a room which are not perfectly strait and flush against the wall really irritate me.
  • When I sleep, I always start of facing the nearest wall.
  • I find it difficult to sleep in silence, so usually go to sleep with music playing, or at the very least the whirring onf my PC.
  • When I eat a packet of crisps, I count the approx number in a packet, until they peices get stupidly small. If I don't finish counting on a "round" number (ending in a 5 or 0), I have to break a larger peice into smaller ones
  • If I'm waiting for something to happen some time later in the day, I work out the time in seconds in my head
  • If I am dunking biscuits in my coffee, I always have to have an even number, I can't stop having eaten an odd number.
  • I have 2 pillows on my bed, so a total of four surfaces. I like the surface my head is on to be cold, so I will rotate pillows several times before falling asleep
  • when I am a passenger in a car, I clench and hold a muscle (can be anything, but is typically my buttocks!) when the car enters an area of shaddow, and then relax when the car is in light again.
  • When walking I don't like to be too close to other people, so will often drop back or stop for a moment if I am catching someone. If I want to pass them, I will often do so on the other side of the street.
  • If I'm walking down a street and realise I;ve forgot something I won't just turn round suddenly as I feel it looks stupid... I'll go into a shop then come out and head back the way I came, or even walk around the block just to prevent a sudden stop and turn!

God, there are loads of things. I could probably think of a few more but I think I shall stop there before I convince myself I;m mad!

Soldato
Originally posted by PeterNem
[*]when I am a passenger in a car, I clench and hold a muscle (can be anything, but is typically my buttocks!) when the car enters an area of shaddow, and then relax when the car is in light again.

:eek: even at night? god ur buttocks must ache..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom