Odd Windows 7 Disc Boot Behaviour

Associate
I am trying to install Win7 and when I set my DVD drive to the first boot device, put my Win7 disc in and boot up thew computer, it just says Loading Windows Files... for a bit, then "Starting Windows" with the Win7 boot animation, then it shows me that default background image and a cursor, without me able to do anything.

It's like it's actually trying to run Windows from the disc, rather than run the setup or whatever. Does anyone know whats going on? I want to do a totally clean install of Win7 on my new hard drive, then add in my old hard drive and transfer some files across later.

Specs in sig..

Associate
OP
I tried with both, then one, then the other. Always the same result. I don't really wait before resetting. I put the disc in when its off then power it up as when I try to put the disc in when its on it just tells me it cant run the setup because I'm trying to install 64 bit from a 32 bit OS.

Soldato
Windows 7 can take around 10 minutes to unpack before it starts installation, just leave it and let it run for ages. Absolutely ages, it'll sit at a bluescreen and appear to be doing absolutely nothing.

My i7 920 with 12Gb ram had this issue when installing, no idea why, maybe it was unpacking everything to memory, but I thought it was stuck, went made tea, came back, still sitting there, chatted with the wife for a while, and the it kicked off and started installing, which was actually a very rapid process, but certanly surprised me.

Associate
OP
Seeing as I've now already started a Win7 thread for my problems, of which hopefully there won't be many more.. Where the heck does Steam store game files? I found them on my Windows XP install, and have started the download of CS:S on my Win7 install, but I can't find the location of the CS:S install on Win7 to copy over the files.

Back
Top Bottom