Shall i go to uni?

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Well I didn't particularly want to go to uni, but I didn't really have anything else to do, so I did. I didn't want a low paying job for the rest of my life, and wanted some time before I had to go out to the 'real' scary world.

I chose economics and got into the University of Sussex (which isn't too bad), and am currently in my 6th week there. Overall, its better than I was expecting it to be, but not as good as I was perhaps 'dreaming' it to be. The problem for me is that I'm slightly anti-social just in my personality, and I don't drink or like going clubbing. However, there are so many people there at uni that I found a few people similar to me in someway, and we just hang around together.

Coursewise, as I had already done Economics for A level, so far on the whole we are just recapping when I already knew. I guess the real test for me and whether I want to continue will be when I start learning the new stuff, and it all gets harder.

Man of Honour
15th Jan for Sept Admissions unless you are applying for Oxford, Cambridge or Medicine or Vetinary Science. In which case the boat has been missed.

Not that I am filling in a UCAS form or anything at the moment, damn personal statements...

What / where are you applying for?

Soldato
I went to uni not knowing what I would end up doing, on a rough offer of E in either of 3 subjects, in the end I got a mix of D's and C's. Now work as a software engineer, grades do not really matter much. And I had no idea what job I wanted to have, and never even imagined myself in this job. But the course was relavant, with a ton of practical work, so I would look for something similar close to whatever your hobbies are.

Soldato
I think if you are in the position to go to uni when you can't find a job you're interested in or like doing, then definitely do it. But obviously make sure you decide on a course that you're definitely interested in or otherwise as previously said, going in just for the social life and racking up debts is a bit OTT.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm going to go for it!!

Problem is, architectural technology/design is the course for people who can't get into a prope architecture course, and I can't find a foundation course for it =\ Anyone know if any or any info on courses that will do the same job?

Cheers guys, OcUK is such an invaluable resource at times :)

Soldato
My advise would be move out and get a place with mates who are going to Uni, and get yourself a full time job. That's what I did, lived the student life style of partying, girls and beer, and enjoyed myself because I had money and no debts :p.

Soldato
A degree is better than no degree.
95% of the time nowadays you need some form of qualification to get a good job.

Hate to say but its not in most cases, agreed in some certain areas you absolutely have to have a degree but in my experience, (talking to previous and my current boss) a prospective employer will take job experience in the relevant field over a qualification every time

Man of Honour
Architecture can be very, very difficult. The pressure my girlfriend is under at the moment is huge, the amount of work they are expected to complete is in my opinion ridiculous, as it is totally overwhelming. You can expect a lot of time studying things that at first seem completely separate from architecture, however are eventually somehow linked in the name of developing an idea. Plenty of work in photoshop, making films and presenting work on concepts seem to be the bread and butter of the design part of the course that my girlfriend is doing.

I have no idea what architectural design is about, I'll ask her the next time we speak.

Soldato
I haven't got a degree, and was stuck in a rut until about 12 months ago when by pure chance I got my current job, 20 years old and earning 20k so not too bad.

Also opportunity for progression, so win win! Don't just go to Uni because there is nothing else about, jobhunting should be first on the list :)

Soldato
Hate to say but its not in most cases, agreed in some certain areas you absolutely have to have a degree but in my experience, (talking to previous and my current boss) a prospective employer will take job experience in the relevant field over a qualification every time

You need the degree to get the job experience though usually.

Uni is to get your foot in the door of the working world, you've almost always got to start low down.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to be like that, "should I go to uni" I just thought "might as well, theres sod all else to do"

I mean what are you going to do if you don't go to uni in all fairness?

Back
Top Bottom