PC Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer verdict

Soldato
There seem to be a lot of people on here in numerous threads that don't have the game and are cursing IW for making a game where you won't be able to hit anyone due to massive pings, you won't be able to join any games and will get kicked often due to hosts quitting etc, etc. I thought I'd make a thread for people that actually OWN the game and have PLAYED it so that people who are valid judges of the game can comment.

I have been playing multiplayer for the last couple of hours (after playing the single player and then thinking ah what the hell I'll try multiplayer even though I'm sure it won't work). I was suprised at how well it runs if I'm honest.

First off you are taken to a left4dead style menu and you can choose from team deathmatch with MW2 squads (basically a way to keep all your friends together for easy launching of a team based game), solo team deathmatch where you just jump in and free-for-all. There are a lot of other modes but they are locked out until you unlock them at a higher rank.

I first off chose free-for-all and clicked the "Find game" button and boom I was in a full lobby and off into the game within a few seconds. Everyone in the game had full green bars and there wasn't any lag whatsoever. I'm playing over wireless too on a crappy 2mb connection ;)

There were only 8 people in total on that map and despite this it was chaos due to the map design. If there were more people it would be far too overcrowded!

On to the next game I chose the option for large team deathmatch. The big one. 9v9. I was prepared for a lag fest but that ran fine too with everyone at full green and with one person on orange status.

This again was chaos and there was plenty of "war" to be had but with the multitude of perks, etc to be obtained and from what I can see no explanation of them all :confused: I had no idea what each one did that people were using. If someone knows somewhere that shows all the mods and what they do then let me know! I only found out by mistake that when using the riot shield, if you press the grenade key you actually put a helmet on for added protection... Your field of view becomes smaller but there we go.

So that's it really. Yes dedicated servers are better and I feel bad for clans, etc but if you only have a few mates who are looking to play it works out fine and the 9v9 maps are still action packed enough to not feel empty and if there were any more people you'd feel it was too full.

The round times seemed fine too with plenty of time to play about before the map changes. I do miss the dedicated server approach, but am actually very suprised how well IWNET has worked out as I was one of the non-believers when they mentioned it. Every game I have gone into connects almost immediately to a load of people and it goes from there fine.

Hopefully others who actually OWN the game can comment and say how they feel too. One thing I will say is that the ******* noob tube is incredibly annoying and that's one thing I will miss from dedicated servers where you can choose a server where this is banned. People were running around firing grenade launchers left right and center on a few games and you can't do anything about it and just die instantly.

In conclusion - Yes dedicated servers are better, but for all the people worried about lag, etc I haven't experienced any myself and the game is still good fun. Certainly worth the £17 I paid for it anyway (after trading old unused games in against it!). I miss the customisation, but if you told me I was on a dedicated server and not playing P2P I would believe you as it really is that good. It's still early days and as more and more people get online, who knows, it could get worse but so far it's been fine...

Caporegime
So is there any option to kick at all?

Even vote?

If not the game's going to get real interesting when the hacks come out.

Soldato
OP
So is there any option to kick at all?

Even vote?

If not the game's going to get real interesting when the hacks come out.

No idea if I'm honest as I haven't checked. I'm assuming as you run the game through steam it's secured that way but counter strike was hacked a lot too I suppose so it's not 100% safe. Maybe someone else knows on here? Then again it looks like everyone has come back from work and Steam is broken so they can't install it! My mate can't install it due to "Steam being busy" !

It's definitely a shadow of it's former self, but fun to pick up and play. If I had a PS3 I would have bought that version as it's basically a console game now - but hey, at least it's lag free lol.

C64

C64

Soldato
Wait until everyone has the game it's far too early to judge yet the vast majority wont even have this until thursday.
I don't care if it's no lag at all 6v6 and 9v9 in one mode only just doesn't interest me.

Soldato
Look on the IW forums and you will see that the iwnet system is not infact ok. People are complaining about severe lag problems.

They make it appear as if there is less lag by messing with the hit detection.

Soldato
well i disagree maybe u are casual gamer and u not notice but i notice lag 100 + ms , also host left 3 times on me takes like 30 sec to get it going again. when map ends it takes even more time to play again.

its playable yes but it feels as you playing on console or pentium 2 server

also for 1 kill you get like 50 or more points even if its a team death match so its very easy to get high levels fast.

edit: the only think i liked its a shield , but then its not much use if u cant play in your own dedicated server and have some matches

also to unlock ak47 needs lvl 70 woot and to unlock 50 cal sniper something like lvl 5 or even u dont need any lvl to unlock that

Last edited:
Soldato
Big let down this game. 9v9 sucks. I haven't had any latency problems at all but lack of high amount of players is just boring, for me anyway :) It's just too easy to die, too hard to see enemies whilst moving, makes camping and sniping more worthwhile. On a plus side the weapons are great and there seems to be a lot more access to customizing your class than in cod4. Also the game seems more 'realistic'.
Pretty darn dissapointed though and I don't reccomend shelling out £35 for this. I'm going straight back to cod4.

Last edited:
Soldato
My thoughts so far:

+ Very very fun to play
+ Haven't encountered serious lag
+ Matchmaking works surprisingly well
+ Map design is awesome, 10 times better than COD 4 and 5 times better than WAW
+ LOADS of action, loads of unlocks, it's brilliant. Perks not as overpowered as I thought they might be
+ Never felt like player numbers were low, and this was a big concern of mine

- It's still not a dedicated server, and I'm going to miss playing with random regulars on community servers
- I like to see my ping in numbers please
- I miss lean :(
- Had a few moments where I have been round a corner of a solid object and still been hit, or throwing nades being a split second delayed, hardly anything, but it just feels a little odd at times.

Overall: I love it, and I am pleasantly surprised. I'm just glad that I'm not in a clan as I would be gutted!

This was my first attempt at playing multiplayer. It started badly, but I then played for 2 hours with no problems.

Last edited:
Associate
I played for the first time today:

First impressions, couldn't join a game for prolly 5mins, just kinda sat there in lobby, then the host left, happened twice more and i thought "oh **** here we go".
Then after that i was always in a game for the next 2-3hours, no lag whatsoever.

Way too many unlocks, seems like ill spend more time creating and keeping custom class up to date than actually playing, the gren launcher is also console proof, just click and it will go and kill someone, the replay kill kam shows just how off the mark you can be and still get it in the tightest window.

Overall disappointed, not much difference overall to cod4 and the no dedicated server support really will be the death of it in 6mnths or so (if even).

Back
Top Bottom