Roasted Parsnips

Permabanned
How bad are they for you?

I've already had dinner but was feeling pekish so i skinned and cut up 3 parsnips and put them in a bag put a little vegetable oil in shook up the bag layed them out on a baking tray and they are currently in the oven.

So how bad are they for me, many calories? Can you eat parsnips raw, like carrot, because they are like carrots? Can you roast carrots?

Man of Honour
You can indeed roast carrots if you really want to, not a massive fan personally. I wouldn't be too eager to eat parsnips raw, they do benefit from being cooked, takes away a bit of the turnip type taste and makes them a little sweeter.

How good or bad they are for you will partially depend on what you cook them in but there are far worse things you could be eating. Roast sweet potato, red onions (although ordinary onions work also), potatoes and parsnips are quite a good combination.

Permabanned
The only bit you have missed is boiling them for a couple of minutes before tossing them in flour and parmesan before roasting them.

You can mix up a load of veg, toss in oil and then roast. Butternut squash, carrots, onions, parsnips, tomatoes, sweet potato - all good.

Associate
Half way through put some honey on them. Never liked parsnips before, but after somebody recommended honey, will have it with every roast :D

Sorry for my English.

Caporegime
Steaming will be the healthiest way of eating them but they are much nicer when rosted in oil. The healthiest way to cook in oil is to use olive oil - though it is best to stir fry than to bake with since the temperature gets to high when baking and this is where oxidation occurs more readily. If you want to use the most healthy method of cooking then use coconut butter, that is the best way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Honey roast parsnips are far superior, but yeah, they're probably quite bad for your roasted.

Not as bad as roast potatos though, parboil, shake in pan to break edges, add flour, roll in duck fat, roast. NOM NOM NOM.
I had some of these frozen ones at work the other day, not much but the crappy canteen roast left so i had it as the vending machines were all broken (unsurprisingly), i nearly vomited they were that bad, I don't understand how people eat frozen ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom