Im told overclock and 12GB Ram is a no go

Associate
I am having a system built and overclocked by a uk firm, I had requested 12GB of Ram as I will be using the system for HD video editing amongst other things. But the Company building the pc told me that they cant overclock it if I have 12GB of RAM as this uses all the memory slots and that causes problems when trying to overclock. I have seen other people list their spec as 12GB and overclocked what are the problems caused by full memory slots ?

Motherboard Asus p6Tdeluxv2
Processor Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366, Bloomfield, 2.66 GHz
CPU cooler Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366RT 120mm
Ram TR3X6G1600C8D -12GB (6x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3, PC3-12800 (1600), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Un buffered CAS 8, DHX, XMP
PSU 850W Corsair 850HX PSU
Graphics card 1GB ScanFX GTX 285
Hard drive 2 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB cache

Thanks for any info

Associate
Places a greater load on the memory controller. Can usually be overcome by relaxing the memory timings on the ram.

This has to be done manually. TBH the company isn't that great (can work out who from the gpu) on the technical front in my experience, but is OK on price.

All they will be looking to do is physically slot it together, manually tweaking is probably more then they are looking to do.

Soldato
All they will be looking to do is physically slot it together, manually tweaking is probably more then they are looking to do.

I would have thought they'd be happy to manually tweak the CPU, going into memory timings and the like is probably a nightmare for post purchase support. Maybe.

OP you must be paying an arm and a leg for that setup.

Associate
The company will probably do it for you but I expect it will cost you. (Time = Money)

It could take a full day or to of testing probably longer to guarantee full stability.(Time = Money)

Could you not buy the kit and build it yourself? You will find people on here to help you out.

Associate
The company will probably do it for you but I expect it will cost you. (Time = Money)

It could take a full day or to of testing probably longer to guarantee full stability.(Time = Money)

Could you not buy the kit and build it yourself? You will find people on here to help you out.

+1

Doing this will expand your PC related knowledge, it will give you confidence to upgrade and maintain it yourself, you will save yourself cash and you get the satisfaction of a job well done.

You also get to start lots more topics and increase your post count :D

Soldato
Another vote to doing it yourself

I haven't had many issues with overclocking with 12gb RAM at all, just got 4.3ghz stable last night as well with 12GB @ 1643mhz :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I agree with you self build has lots going for it, and I did consider a self build but It would be my first build and since I will be using it for work I cant afford to be spending ages building and tweaking that’s why I opted for a pre overclocked machine. If I did decide to overclock it myself what sort of time would I expect it to take me starting from zero experience in overclocking, but I am computer literate and have dipped my big toe in the BIOS a couple of times. Is it straight forward or am I likely to be pulling my hair out after 2 days of faffing around.

I was hunting around to find a good company and from what I read the company, from what I have seen have a good reputation. They charge £80 for the overclocking to 3.8Ghz, it does make me doubt overclocking it myself if the experts shy away from 12GB as being either tricky or unstable.

edit.. name of company removed

Last edited:
Soldato
Remove the competitor name mate for sure.

You says this will be a work machine so have gone for a prebuilt system. To be honest putting a PC together is like lego, if it doesnt fit then it doesnt go there!

You will also not know how thorough they have been with the testing to ensure that the given overclock is stable, something you could easily do yourself.

You could always dabble with the overclocking side when you want and go back to the stock settings for when you need to do serious work. Most bios's will allow you to store profiles in the bios so you could have two, one called work and one called play :p

3.8ghz could probably be achieved in one day if you start doing some reading up on the overclocking subject now, would certainly not pay £80 for it

Soldato
Asus p6tdeluxe v2 with 12GB ram running at 1600MHz here, i7 920 OCed also. No issues at all.

i7 920 @3.2Ghz, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, 12GB 1600MHz OCZ RAM @ 7-7-7-20, ATI 4890 1GB as my signature doesn't appear to be showing currently.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you decided to DIY then order a similar spec to someone on here and within reason copy what they've done with regards to overclocking. Can't see you having much trouble there.

Soldato
Yep, all sticks are the Version 3.2 (i think) Dominator, believe they are meant to be the poor clockers as well (elipda chips)

Not had a problem here but then again only 43mhz over stock speed!

Soldato
I'd trust ocuk to overclock a system. Not a chance in hell I'd trust scan to.

12gb doesn't prevent overclocking, it makes it more reliant on the memory controller on the cpu. As this is a fairly random variable it's not possible to say "we'll charge you x amount for a 4ghz overclock", as the processor may well not make it that high. Hence their refusal to try it and the benefit of doing it yourself.

If you can cope with lego, you can put a computer together. If you can follow very simple directions and have a few days spare you can overclock. However if you're worried about messing something up, or don't have time to overclock it, ocuk are ready and waiting.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, after reading a couple of overclocking guides I think I will overclock it my self.

Is there a definitive guide that I should follow

Soldato
I would definitely have a go at it yourself mate, like Jon said, if you can cope with lego bricks, you wont have a problem building a PC..

It seems that even the pre-overclocked bundles and systems from here have a pretty basic o/c on them.

My dad bought the 4GHz bundle with the Corsair H50, and I built it up for him when he got it, but when it came to booting into Windows after installing it, we kept getting an error saying "no bootable partition in the table" or something along that lines, but when I went into the BIOS and set it to optimized defaults, the system would boot without any issues at all.

In the end I just o/ced it for him instead of using the OcUK profile, the profile they set was pretty basic imo, most voltages were left on auto, and even his RAM timings were set all wrong as well...

Back
Top Bottom