• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX 5870 ETA?

Associate
I'm in 2 minds whether to pre-order or not.

If there was at least some sort of ETA on these card's I'd pre-order now (providing it wasnt more than a few weeks) but with no date, no other information I just don't see the point.

If I pre-ordered now what kind of timescale should I expect to wait for the card to arrive?

I know the 5970 is out soon but I'm positive that will be way beyond my budget ( < £375 ) I don't mind spending a bit more, but imho spending close to £500 on a GPU is crazy.

Should I pre-order? Is it worth it?

Permabanned
If you pre-order, you've gotta remember that they take your money straight away too, instead of waiting for stock and billing you on dispatch.

If you want a 5 series, I would advise you to get a 5850 over a 5870 anyway, 5870s are just too much money for the performance they give you.

Caporegime
Could be waiting for weeks/till next year, they shouldn't be taking pre-orders, as they are barely getting a handful of cards in, in a week, theres people been waiting since October, and are still waiting with no sign, its no good having hundreds of pre-orders, and still taking them, if your only getting about 5-10 cards a week in to fulfill em.

Its ridiculous, they get told they will get them xxx day, they don't turn up, get told another day, again, they don't turn up, they get told they are getting xxx amount delivered, so will be able to get rid of the back orders for that brand and have some spare, but they get let down again by them, as when the cards finally turn up, its not even half what they were expecting, so back orders are nowhere naer cleared, and theres certainly none spare, its an absolute farce, but you can't really blame these guys, as if they get told by say XFX, that they are sending them 500 cards, then thats what they are going to expect, so its not their fault if only 10 turn up as thats all that they really sent.

EDIT: Last i read was, that the XFX's were due yesterday, or this Monday (least i think it was XFX), but i wouldn't say thats a definate.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree they shouldnt be taking pre-orders when there is no chance of stock coming in any time soon to satisfy those orders, but if taking preorders in a situation like this, if they dont take at least a deposit straight away, what is to stop u preordering 1 of each brand to hedge ur bets and then cancel the rest when one brand comes into stock!

Associate
I purchased an XFX 5870 on release day for £299, and although I was prepared for the price to drop steadily over the days/weeks that followed, I've been very surprised that it would now cost me at least £40 more to buy the same product!

Having said that, there does seem to be an overall rise in hardware prices at the moment.

Associate
Keep the customer informed

Could be waiting for weeks/till next year, they shouldn't be taking pre-orders, as they are barely getting a handful of cards in, in a week, theres people been waiting since October, and are still waiting with no sign, its no good having hundreds of pre-orders, and still taking them, if your only getting about 5-10 cards a week in to fulfill em.

Its ridiculous, they get told they will get them xxx day, they don't turn up, get told another day, again, they don't turn up, they get told they are getting xxx amount delivered, so will be able to get rid of the back orders for that brand and have some spare, but they get let down again by them, as when the cards finally turn up, its not even half what they were expecting, so back orders are nowhere naer cleared, and theres certainly none spare, its an absolute farce, but you can't really blame these guys, as if they get told by say XFX, that they are sending them 500 cards, then thats what they are going to expect, so its not their fault if only 10 turn up as thats all that they really sent.

EDIT: Last i read was, that the XFX's were due yesterday, or this Monday (least i think it was XFX), but i wouldn't say thats a definate.

I realise OC are at the mercy of the suppliers, and the whole supply fiasco by the chip manufactures is a terrible situation. That said it would be nice if Oc`ers could keep us customers with back orders informed, perhaps an email with any alternative options, latest ETA`s and expected time till delivery (worst case!).
If everyone voted with their feet and canceled their orders, went with Nvidia. ATI would be stuck with a bundle of overpriced hardware and the release of the impending NVidia DX11 card,forcing them to reduce the price, and take a good look at how the company operates and supplies products.
Heres hoping i get my system soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!

Back
Top Bottom