Corsair H50 Water Cooling Kit

Associate
There seems to a mixture of idea's on how to install this kit.

I have decided push pull with Apache Fans in the roof of my Lian Li 343B case.

What doesn't seem so clear is if people are using the pre-applied thermal, or are they removing it to begin with and putting new thermal paste on anyway.

I have seen a couple of references to people re-applying paste after not being happy with there temp, but unclear if hat was with pre-applied or what they had applied themselves anyway.

What would be the best option. I will be looking for a 4GHz OC on a 750 with my Asus Max Formula III.

Is the pre-applied paste upto the job or should I remove and apply some fresh.

Thanks.

Associate
Thermaltake armour

I've got an armour case iand i've got it cooling my Q9550 @3.9 with 2 Apache's in push pull as an exhaust, it keeps it nice and cool max core is 63c after 2 hours of prime. It was 70c with my old TRUE i'm sure it'd be better as an intake but can be bothered to swap all my fans round. also i dont like the idea of all that hot air going over my HDD's.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got an armour case iand i've got it cooling my Q9550 @3.9 with 2 Apache's in push pull as an exhaust, it keeps it nice and cool max core is 63c after 2 hours of prime. It was 70c with my old TRUE i'm sure it'd be better as an intake but can be bothered to swap all my fans round. also i dont like the idea of all that hot air going over my HDD's.

Thanks paul :)

gonna set this up today

Associate
I bought the H50-1 today on the basis that it was easy to install. Having spent all afternoon trying I've now given up.
The basic problem is that whenever i tighten the screws it just pushes out the metal inserts of the back plate. I am now in a position where there is one screw i cannot remove at all as it has pushed all the way out of the back plate and just rotates when i try to remove the screw. I cannot push it back into the back plate so I'm now stuck and dont know what to do. Its now rendered my brand new system unusable as i am unable to remove the mounting bracket.
No matter how hard i push the metal inserts into the backplate they just come out whan i screw into them.
The new 1156 compatible backplate mounting method just seems very flimsy to me .
Anyone got any ideas what I can do?

Associate
how much force are you putting on the screw, doesnt it just thread into the backplate and then the metal inserts? Use some pliers, preferably needlenose or something small to grab the metal insert and then unscrew the screw incase the thread is getting stripped and then start over.

Associate
cheers sorted it out with some needlenose pliers.
I'm about to start again.
There were 8 main screws in the box but the manual only mentioned 4 (I thought the other 4 were for spares). On closer inspection it would appear that they are all not actually the same as some have a slightly thicker thread. I've now made sure that all the screws I'm using are the thinner ones so hopefully I will be able to screw these in easier.
Anyone else had 8 screws?

Associate
Aah, yes there are 8 screws, you want the thinner ones which will go in a lot more easily and won't require forcing but they are very similar, you'll have to try them to isolate which 4 if they can't be identified just by looking. :)

Also, if you can use some double sided tape or try to get the pads back under the backplate if you can, just to add a bit more flexible tension.

Associate
Just had a quick look through the corsair support forums and the 4 thicker screws have been mentioned a few times but nobody seems to know what they are for. My problem was definatly down to using the 'rogue' screws.
Having read articles on the H50 prior to purchase I cant help feeling that the new mounting system is inferior to the original. The original looked sturdy to me while the new one is plastic and cheap.

Associate
Ok so I gave up reading after about page 15 but I am still unable to make my mind up if this worth the leap? Its on a one week reduced price does that mean OC are not moving the units they thought they would be?

There seems to be some very mixed views/comments on this little beauty, the idea to me is sound although I don't like the idea on dumping hot air in the case from the rad surely you are better venting this out of the back/top of the case? About to go to an i7/5 setup and want to achieve 4ghz would I be better off going air?

Associate
Ok so I gave up reading after about page 15 but I am still unable to make my mind up if this worth the leap? Its on a one week reduced price does that mean OC are not moving the units they thought they would be?

Definitely not! it's only in this week only as a loss leader. The H50 has been in their top 10 sellers since release.

Back
Top Bottom