To upgrade to Megahalems or not

Soldato
Hi all my Q6700 is sitting at 38-40 degrees idle across all cores on lapped scythe ninja and load is 68 degrees max via OCCT,
This is at 1.45v @3.7ghz

Now I was going to buy a freezer 7 for the home PC as I can't get good temps with the stock Intel HSF on the E6300
but now I am thinking I could put my 5yr old ninja in there instead and upgrade my rig to a Prolimatech:)

What do you guys think, will it be worth the £50 investment?
I may try to see if my quad will do 3.8ghz but mainly just fancy the change, not spending cash on other stuff atm...

Oh and I do have a side window so if the megahalems looks cool then all the better:)

Cheers

Associate
Sounds like a reasonably good plan to me!! The megahalems is a great cooler, one of the best, but if your not keen on the £50 price there are cheaper alternatives. TRUE or IFX-14 are both great for around £43, but if you want to save even more a Tital Fenrir is also a good buy at £35, though the fan is can get rather loud so maybe replace it with something quieter if that bothers you.

Alpenföhn also have some good cooler apparently, but not sure which is best for you, maybe get sombody with a bit more knowlage to advise you on those :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks Ducky,
The TRUE has fiddly mounting and isn't significantly cheaper, my heart is pretty much set on the megahalems just trying to justify it.

Maybe that my ninja is 5yrs old is enough? hah

Permabanned
Megahalems with a couple of apaches would probably bring your load temps down to about 60c so id say it was worth it, is the chip lapped?

Soldato
OP
No I have lapped before but not this one, it seems to get very even temps across all four cores which I like, don't wanna mess up a good thing:)

A factor to bear in mind is that I am running Akasa smoke 120mm fans, not the greatest airflow or static pressure as they didn't need those characteristics for the very large fin gaps on the scythe ninja.

Do you guys forsee any problems using these fans? investing £26 in two apaches plus the cooler @£50 is too hard to swallow

Associate
Not a huge difference, there's about 1-2 degrees difference with Push/Pull on the megahalems, running 2 apaches myself with one but not really needed. Would be fine with any high RPM fan.

Associate
I am getting this hs also and fitting some gentle typoons to it the 1450rpm models best sound to air pressure ratio.

These fans are 120 x 25mm so the clip that comes with th hs will fit without you spending more on another clip

Associate
I am getting this hs also and fitting some gentle typoons to it the 1450rpm models best sound to air pressure ratio. And top quality build seems to many review say these are the best for hs combo and 2nd in place are the s-flex who make the same fans

These fans are 120 x 25mm so the clip that comes with th hs will fit without you spending more on another clip

Soldato
OP
whats the crack with 38mm fans, I see their uptake is increasing, any peer-reviewed journals on their performance?

Back
Top Bottom