Canon D5 advice

Associate
A friend (who is short of cash) has offered me his MkII Canon D5 and I’m very tempted. I would describe myself as an enthusiastic novice when it comes to photography and would appreciate some feed back as to if you think that this is a good camera and what lenses you would recommend.

Thanks

olv

olv

Soldato
I'd be worried about spending so much money on a camera if you're calling it by the wrong name :p

You'll also need high quality optics to get the most out of the 21mp sensor so you're talking Canon L zooms or primes really.

Caporegime
Yup, if you don't know what lens this camera likes then i doubt you know the difference between EF and EF-S, in which case I wouldn't spend so much money on a camera that you won't get the use out of.

p.s. I have this camera and my lenses include a 24-70L 2.8. 16-35L 2.8, 50/1.4. Next on the list is a 135L 2.0 and a 85/1.8.

You might be able to get the camera "cheaper" but the lenses to take advantage of that will end up costing thousands ! I am not saying you need to spend lots of glass, but the camera screams for nice glass.

Last edited:
Soldato
as all said above..it's a hell of a camera, but you really need glas to make it worthwhile...and expensive glass at that! unless you know you can afford the couple of grand to really use it, I'd give it a miss!

Associate
I've got a 5D 2 at the moment and I love it. So much better than my old 350D, pictures are better, handling is nicer and it looks quite beefy :)

I agree with the above posters that you'll need some decent glass to get the most out of the sensor but there would be cheaper alternatives available to the Canon L lenses. If I don't get Canon, I normally go for Sigma. Always been impressed with the Sigma optics and build quality.

Soldato
I've got a 5D 2 at the moment and I love it. So much better than my old 350D, pictures are better, handling is nicer and it looks quite beefy :)

I agree with the above posters that you'll need some decent glass to get the most out of the sensor but there would be cheaper alternatives available to the Canon L lenses. If I don't get Canon, I normally go for Sigma. Always been impressed with the Sigma optics and build quality.

All very well but from my experience a 10-20 (even if you get a good one) is no match for even a half decent 10-22.

You get what you pay for... as they say :p

Back
Top Bottom