Soldato

All I can say is my idea of what massively impressive special effects is, is different than yours. The limo scene looked very poor considering it was the first major effect in the film.

Kept me entertained but otherwise was nothing special, wouldn't bother watching it again or even buying it on blu-ray.

Totally agree. The best praise I could give it to a mate was

"it was better than 10,000 BC"

Not that that's a glowing recommendation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Further to one of the earlier posts, went to see this Friday but there was no "parallel" universe in play. In fact, other than nature of the events itself, the sci-tech is pretty much in line with what we could achieve now. Can't say more without spoilerising.

Not too bad but it did seem to be combining set pieces from just about every disaster movie over the last 20 years - elements of Dantes Peak, Deep Impact, Independence Day etc. etc. Good FX but might look better on Blu-Ray than the slightly out of focus multiplex screen.

Frankly it was getting a bit tedious by the end with the final "challenge" the protaganists faced really one disaster too many. Probably 20 mins too long as well, a tighter cut might have been more effective.

Soldato
8/10?! crazy! :p

its entertaining in the fact its unbelievably cheesy and silly.

its like all the other omgzendoftheworldz films, just more cringeworthy.

would have been nice to see a film of this topic at least SLIGHTLY realistic, but no, they always go OTT :(

Associate
would have been nice to see a film of this topic at least SLIGHTLY realistic, but no, they always go OTT :(

Saw this today and the realism topic came up in discussion afterwards. Let's face it, a disaster movie is meant to be ever so slightly toppling towards the unbelievable in terms of the main characters escaping death.
It's pretty much the same for something like 24 where Jack just happens to be in peril for 1440 straight minutes and near death for some of them or even coming back from actually dying.
Or, pretty much the same as most sitcoms where the absolute ridiculous seems to happen on a weekly basis.

Did I think it was fantastic, no, but it was an enjoyable disaster movie and that's exactly what I wanted and expected to see.

Associate
Hi all

Saw this movie last night so thought i would share my opinion with you all.

It was OK, i didnt leave the cinema feeling like i had just seen an EPIC film but at the same time i didnt feel like i had wasted my time or money. Just an OK Film really.....lol
Special effects were great and as posted previously, it was great to see more than just NY being wrecked lol

Summary - If your bored one evening and have some spare cash then yeah go see it, just don't expect to come out amazed.

Caporegime
Someone just tweeted: "Instead of seeing 2012, why not grab some popcorn, throw 15 quid into a puddle and ask a friend to insult your intelligence?"

Is this accurate?

Soldato
Its entertaining, which after all is the reason you go, but dont expect to be blown away by its very average for a film, special effects are excellent but there's too much bling and not even of a story.

My only hope now is Avatar is good, because if that were a flop also, i'd be deeply upset!

Man of Honour
I am very easily pleased when watching movies but I found myself continually thinking it was insulting my low intelligence.

Such as -

SPOILERS
Driving down the road just in front of the road collapsing, surely the road would be collapsing everywhere.
Then the same thing but in an airplane with buildings collapsing or just getting in front of a rock shower.
Pathetic.
Worst moment was when they were in freezing cold water next to Everest but nobody was showing any signs of being cold.

Soldato
I am very easily pleased when watching movies but I found myself continually thinking it was insulting my low intelligence.

Such as -

SPOILERS
Driving down the road just in front of the road collapsing, surely the road would be collapsing everywhere.
Then the same thing but in an airplane with buildings collapsing or just getting in front of a rock shower.
Pathetic.
Worst moment was when they were in freezing cold water next to Everest but nobody was showing any signs of being cold.

Yep that water would have been well below zero, no way he could have remained underwater for that length of time without turning blue!

Soldato
Someone just tweeted: "Instead of seeing 2012, why not grab some popcorn, throw 15 quid into a puddle and ask a friend to insult your intelligence?"

Is this accurate?

Very.

This film doesn't ask you to suspend your disbelief, it doesn't even credit you with that ability as it uses every predictable cliché in the book.
Oh look we're being chased by the big bad thing, are we gonna escape in time......... Ooh just made, We're not going to clear the big thing in our path.........Ooh just made it, again and again.
The script was dire, in fact it's only redeeming factors was the visual effects and Woody Harrelson.

However, this is only my (strong) opinion.
If your curious, go see it.
What I will say though is that you already have!

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw this last night, absolute waste of time.

As pointed out on the radio, the BBFC gave it a 12A rating, which included the guidance -

"Contains sustained moderate threat, and one swear word" - shouldn't an end-of-the-world film contain more than 'moderate' threat?!

Just cheesy, overly-long dross. Boringly obvioius too...wish I'd watched anything else really!

Soldato
Saw this last night, absolute waste of time.

As pointed out on the radio, the BBFC gave it a 12A rating, which included the guidance -

"Contains sustained moderate threat, and one swear word" - shouldn't an end-of-the-world film contain more than 'moderate' threat?!

Just cheesy, overly-long dross. Boringly obvioius too...wish I'd watched anything else really!

I know if the world was ending i certainly wouldn't hold back on the language.

Would definitely be more than 1 swear word!

Back
Top Bottom