• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon HD 5970 Offers Massive Overclocking Headroom

Associate
Just waiting for the 19th/20th when someone wants to RMA there card because it can't hit 1000/1500 speeds, yet works perfectly fine at the standard speed.

Caporegime
so looking at that "massive overclocking headroom" chart are we going to see the new CCC overdrive go beyond 900/1300 ????

Was the big slide with massive overclocking potential that states unlocked overclocking limits not obvious enough?

yes.

but i haven't seen a 5850/5870 run stable beyond 1300 on the memory, so why up the memory limit

The memory limit on a 5850(which its currently looking to be clocked closer too) is more like 775/1100. Likewise they could be using higher rated mem chips, just enabling you to get to 1250 without messing around or have higher quality power circuitry allowing higher stable clocks.

Soldato
Was the big slide with massive overclocking potential that states unlocked overclocking limits not obvious enough?

The memory limit on a 5850(which its currently looking to be clocked closer too) is more like 775/1100. Likewise they could be using higher rated mem chips, just enabling you to get to 1250 without messing around or have higher quality power circuitry allowing higher stable clocks.
i thought alll 5850/5870 memory is rated at 1250..

my 5850 does 1250 without issues

Soldato
68b.jpg

For those worried about cost, it should be pretty cheap.

ATI have resulted to filling the card with polystyrene instead of actual components to reduce cost.

Associate
hink its lol at the avaialbility -? thought was let slip that oc's have soem in stock - how many and what ongoing supply is like will be the lol maybe?

Associate
Yeah I was thinking of the availability...I don't doubt they'll be hard to get.

£600-700 for a graphics card would just be absoutely crazy though...I think even I would wait then (even though I've already sold my two 8800 GTXs and can't currently use my PC....foaming at the mouth to play a game :p).

Associate
I expect around the £420/450 mark the more I think about it but yes they have stock they came in last week.

I'll be hoping to bag one tomorrow as my GTX280 is dying and getting an nvidia card is like hens teeth. The high end GPU availability especially at this time of year is just shocking!

Associate
I suspect they've downclocked it, regardless of if the card can take it or not, just to stay under a 300w TDP.

They most probably figure most enthusiasts will have more than capable enough PSUs if they're planning on overclocking it.

There's rumours that this hardware is basically the same as the 5870 but has been deliberately been downclocked to meet power requirement regulations for the card, apparantly a single PCIE device should not exceed 300W during normal operation which is basically what the card is running at stock.

But users overclocking past that and causing a bigger power draw is their own choice :)

Thats probably why of all the 3 clocks (core/mem/shader) the shader is the only one that hasn't been decreased relative to the 5870, because the ATI drivers dont allow overclocking of that.

If the 300W limit is to be taken seriously does that mean that video cards are reaching a problem soon? No doubt Nvidia will have their own dual GPU counterpart I bet they run into the same problem.

*edit*

As with price, well if life was FAIR which it never is, the exchange rate of the $600 would be about £360 (LOL)

Looking at the initial RRP for the 5870 which is $380 £300, using that ratio of USD to GBP you get a $600 card come in at £470

If clocking this card to 5870 (x2) speeds is really as trivial as we all hope and it comes in at under £500 then count me in, right now a 5870 crossfire rig would cost £680 haha.

Anyone else sick of UK prices, we have a USD to GBP exchange rate of $1 to £0.6 but actual RRP of products comes in at about $1 to £0.8 :(

Last edited:
Associate
Wonder what time the cards are allowed to be released tomorrow...I'm thinking of matchsticks and coffee with an all-nighter not to miss this one!

I think it's gonna be launch stock or nothing if you want it before xmas :)

Back
Top Bottom