• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** ATi 5970 - In Stock & Shipping Now ***

Associate
Anyone suspect that AMD are pulling a Nintendo and deliberately holding back stock as was done with the Wii, so as to create artificial shortages and hold the price high? Certainly seems fishy to me, and £500+ is insane for a graphics card. Especially when you think that you can build a decent gaming computer for just over £600 with a 5770.

Associate
Launch price inflation is nothing to do with ATI (or Nvidia), it is the retailers charging what they want because they can.

OCUK charged £520/530 for their 5970s and sold out in an hour, too cheap then surely?

Yep £50 cheaper then some of the competition. I reckon that they could have easily been charging 560-580 for these and still would have sold.

Soldato
Anyone suspect that AMD are pulling a Nintendo and deliberately holding back stock as was done with the Wii, so as to create artificial shortages and hold the price high? Certainly seems fishy to me, and £500+ is insane for a graphics card. Especially when you think that you can build a decent gaming computer for just over £600 with a 5770.

No because the high prices are due to retailers not ATI

Caporegime

Nintendo did not withhold stock though, as that would be the most stupid maneuver possible when you are trying to gain as much market share as possible. Simple put, the Wii is the greatest selling console of all time and Nintendo underestimated demand.

I very much doubt ATI will purposely limit their market share penetration to make a few extra bucks on the cards. indeed The final retail price does not dictate the profits ATI (or Nintendo for that matter) make. If retailers up prices due to supply-demand, the manufacturer does not see the increased profit.

Associate
You got to remember, this is an ultra high end, enthusiasts gaming card. People will have know about this card for quite a while, and it's something to save up for.

Found launch price for 8800GTX Ultra..................
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2007/05/02/nvidia_geforce_8800_ultra/1

Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
Author: Tim Smalley
Published: 2nd May 2007

Manufacturer: Nvidia
Price (as reviewed): £528.74 (inc VAT)

£10 cheaper than what I paid for yesterday for the 5970.

Associate
Buy a new calculator. Even at $2 to the pound the price would be £345 inc VAT so at 1.6 ish, it's going to be a hell of a lot more than £380.

oddly, my previous post with the maths in has disappeared. I'm not sure if I broke some rules? In any case its gone, rather than edited, could a Don clarify?

Sorry Netvyper, I must have checked your post accidentally when cleaning the thread up. I have reinstated your post.

I used xe.com/ucc which is showing: 1 GBP = 1.66711 USD atm, gives you around £360. This is ofc before VAT and the cost of getting them here etc.

What it shows is the cost, not the price, which is ofc subject to the usual supply/demand curve, launch day excitement etc.

Associate
Launch price inflation is nothing to do with ATI (or Nvidia), it is the retailers charging what they want because they can.

OCUK charged £520/530 for their 5970s and sold out in an hour, too cheap then surely?

An interesting argument, for the first 10 or so, maybe...but theres always people with more money than sense (that's not an insult I'm just saying that some people with a lot of money are willing to pay way above the odd to have a product only a few days early)

I suspect you could have sold the initial 10 or so at £700-£800 maybe more, and there would have been the initial wealthy gamers and 0 day nutcases come in and sweep them up.

My point is, it's not representative of the entire market, there is a small group of people who will do practically anything to get tech early.

Buy a new calculator. Even at $2 to the pound the price would be £345 inc VAT so at 1.6 ish, it's going to be a hell of a lot more than £380.

It's 0.6 not 1.6, there's £0.6 to every $1,

($600 * 0.6 = £360) + (360 * 0.15) = £414

I pre-orderd mine for £443 which is probably close to what the actual RRP was set by ATI for the UK. ATI set the RRP of the US/UK out of sync with the exchange rate anyway, if you compare the RRP of $380 to £300 for the 5870 thats not 0.6

No, it's etailers hiking the prices ATI see none of that profit it goes straight into the etailers pocket, they're just hiking prices up because they know they can and they will still sell, I don't particularly agree with this which is why I pre orderd for a 9 day wait and saved £100, obviously everyone is free to do whatever they wish though.

Associate
I think OcUK did set a fair price for launch day as they actually had the stock. They could have charged more and sold more.

Other etailers seem to have launched with 'pre-orders' and then I guess when thy saw how the stock was priced and selling at the site(s) that did have stock, they quickly 'made the most of market conditions'. Others just got it wrong - there is a one eTailer apparently holding HIS stock out there at £573 - and no one is buying!

It is a premium product in short supply - competition & increased availability have yet to affect the price - if you choose to buy one, be happy if you can get it soon; otherwise wait!

Soldato
It's strange how people percieve things. Fitting 2 GPU's onto one card is almost working against ATI as time and time again, people keep saying "£500 for a graphics card!?!?"

Whilst I still think £500+ is too high, people do need to remember they are getting 2 cards. I'm sure if ATI just sold 2 cards in separate boxes as a crossfire bundle people would have a different reaction to the price.

Associate
Just to add a little fuel to the fire...a few moments ago I spotted a well known rival that currently has stock of the card (9 pieces at present) and is selling them for........................................ £795.00:eek:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom