*** NEW Fractal Design Case - Coming Soon ***

Associate
I'm going slightly mad! Stock should be arriving tomorrow, right? I still don't know for sure if I pre-ordered in time to get one of these... I hope so! Also put in an order for the 650 W PSU and three of the 140 mm fans, which reminds me... Is anyone not planning on using the included fan controller?

Associate
I got a 140mm FD fan through the post today and it seems the 140's are closed chassis fans...which means it's going to be a nightmare trying to fit it on the roof of a case using the supplied rubber mounts (which are pretty damn hard btw).

Not the best of designs I have to say, as I was hoping not to have to use regular screws.

(I haven't tested the fan itself yet)

Associate
I got a 140mm FD fan through the post today and it seems the 140's are closed chassis fans...

Oh dear... Why, I wonder!? I haven't used screws on a case fan in years. I also wonder why the rubbers are so hard... They're usually pretty soft things, in my experience?

Have you actually tried pushing the mount through the hole... How far does it get, without excessive force?

If they're supplying the fan with rubber mounts, it must be possible to mount the fan using them...!

EDIT: Maybe the mounts are specifically for closed-chassis fans (hence the hardness)? I only have open-chassis fans in my current PC...

Last edited:
Associate
I tried pushing a mount into one of the holes of the fan, and let's just say it didn't get very far at all (with quite a lot of force).

There is a small hole in the centre of the rubber mount, which I'm assuming is there to aid you in using something to push/force the mount into the fan...but then what? If you do manage to get them in, how do you take the fan off for cleaning etc when you need to? The mounts are also quite small.

Hmmm.

Associate
You're scaring me now... Maybe I should've waited for the FT02 after all. :p

Are the 120 mm fans that come pre-fitted of a similar design?

EDIT: The problem is, in my experience, at least, these types of fan mounts need to be pulled, rather than pushed, into place. (As pulling makes them thinner, whereas pushing makes them thicker.)

Hmmm, indeed.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure how you could pull the mounts through, as like I said...they're pretty solid.

The "rubber" mounts are also smaller than the thickness of the fan, so they couldn't be pulled through anyway.

I guess I could just buy some long stretchy fan mounts...but I would have preferred not to have to.

Actually just read this from another site/review:

"As for the rubber mounts, they are a bit of a pain since you require a special thin screwdriver or similar tool in order to force them through the mounts on the fan chassis and they break rather easily. Also the item you get does not match the one pictured on the website. The ones I received have their chassis closed and not open".

Associate
I had a look at the rubber mountings for the 140mm fans and decided I didn't quite know how well it would work, screw-fitted the fan in the end (top-rear position).

Tbh I'm not sure how much quieter the rubber mountings would have been, its bizarrely quiet using the screws :)
(I'm just running it from a mb connection, not via the fan controller)

Associate
O.K, before I decide whether or not to RMA the 140mm Fractal Design Fan that I got yesterday, can I ask if anyone else's is making a buzzing/clicking sound whilst it's spinning?

Thanks.

Soldato
One of the three that I bought does, it's got a very low noise clicking, i've put it at the bottom of the case and it's no longer a problem. But I was also considering replacing it.

Associate
I'm not sure how you could pull the mounts through, as like I said...they're pretty solid.

The "rubber" mounts are also smaller than the thickness of the fan, so they couldn't be pulled through anyway.

I guess I could just buy some long stretchy fan mounts...but I would have preferred not to have to.

Actually just read this from another site/review:

"As for the rubber mounts, they are a bit of a pain since you require a special thin screwdriver or similar tool in order to force them through the mounts on the fan chassis and they break rather easily. Also the item you get does not match the one pictured on the website. The ones I received have their chassis closed and not open".

i brought one of these 140's too i was going to use the rubber fan mounts. saw the closed corners and thought **** that i was not going to even attempt to push it through

oh and also my fan isnt an 11 blade fan as depicted in the description or on youtube its a 7 blade standard looking fan (but white obviously) i was quite miffed about that one. other than that its v.v.v.v.quiet full speed with no undue noises or anyhing

Associate
Just a couple of questions

q1 would a Megahalems hs fit this case on a i5 and asus motherboard ?

q2 would a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4670 ULTIMATE PASSIVE fit ok

q3 would a corsair 550w psu fan be alined with the vent of the case.

Thanks for any help and is there any tricky bits I should look out for when I build the new pc with this case

Associate
oh and also my fan isnt an 11 blade fan as depicted in the description or on youtube its a 7 blade standard looking fan

Damn, I didn't even notice that Indy!...I've just looked at my one and it's a 7 blade too.

If it wasn't for the buzzing noise I'd probably keep it, but it's going back unfortunately :(

Associate
Just a couple of questions

q3 would a corsair 550w psu fan be alined with the vent of the case.

I have a Corsair HX750 in mine and it aligns no problem ... and 'just' fits lengthwise without touching the bottom fan mount bracket, although I haven't tried fitting bottom fan though ... it looks like it may not fit due to PSU slight overhang

550 is slightly shorter so should be no problem at all.

Last edited:
Associate
..only minor irritation I have is no 'HDD' LED .. may have a go at attaching one to the existing plastic moulding used for the blue 'ON' LED

Soldato
OP
Right guys and girls, I have managed to source a small amount of Titanium Grey cases that are arriving tomorrow, but sadly no more. We currently only have 4 free after pre-orders. So be quick.

Next lot of stock after this, looks likely to be the first week of Jan now.

Back
Top Bottom