Opinions on 1st build choice

Associate
2llyahf.jpg

xcw6cn.jpg

Associate
OP
Following on from http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18079070
Above are all the components I have chosen with some help from you guys. Firstly I just want to point out a few things and ask a few questions:
1st off to save a bit of pennies I might be going for the 900 or 900-two Antec case. Aint sure about the hard drives to. 64GB SSD should be ok as a main drive, although ridiculously expensive but I keep reading on how good these are, when the costs come down I will upgrade to maybe a 128GB. Also I don’t really know if it will be worth upgrading my RAM from 1333MHz to the originally planned 1600MHz. Also the PSU might be changed depending on the feedback lol. I was advised to add the fan to the back/front of the H50 water cooler in case your wondering what that’s for.
Still to be added is a blu-ray writer, TIM and a card reader. Along with any extension cables, and converters...bowt to stumble onto something were I need to go out and buy something else!
With that in mind please feel free to comment. Thanks a lot.

Associate
Not a bad choice of kit tbh, the corsair power supply is fantastic (i have one), but you might find yourself needing a 750W one instead if you plan on overclocking by the end of things, and hey.. with an i7 920 as people have said before, it would be a crime not to!

Unfortunately with regards to your RAM, the price has jumped in the last few months.. I paid roughly £80 for 6 gigs of triple channel 1600mhz xms3, which is really cheap considering todays prices!

If you're into saving a bit of money:
The H50 comes with a fan of its own, and you should also have a case fan where you need one bundled with the antec 1200 so you may not need the extra one, the antec 900 is a nice case but you may struggle to fit your 5870 in there.

If you're not going for serious overclocking, the SE is nice to save some pennies, I'm not sure on the exact difference between the SE and the normal, but I'm pretty sure you don't lose much between them.

your build is remarkably similar to mine, though i went for a couple of cheaper parts so i could afford my huge monitor :)

Soldato
I don’t really know if it will be worth upgrading my RAM from 1333MHz to the originally planned 1600MHz

It is because it actually costs less than the stuff above.

As for extension cables, for cases where the PSU is mounted at the bottom, I find using one of these cables almost a necessity.

For case choice, you may want to give the fractal design a gander.

As for SSD I don't think I would be able to live without at least 128GB, considering the size of a windows install and the large size of my key games/applications. But I guess if you are ruthless you could make it fit - but its a lot of money for something that is far from ideal (though obviously very nice).

Associate
OP
Arachnae:

i want to look at overclocking after the build but one step at a time at the min. will look in to the threads in the overclocking part of this forum when the time comes so at the min if ppl agree i will stick with the 650W unless theres a 750W for around the same cost???

regarding the case i have heard a few stories regarding the 900 to be a tight fit with some components. might stick with the 1200 for now then. seen some monsters out there but might be a little ott/overkill for me. would be nice to have plenty of room though. the 1200 gets a lot of praise for space to work in, can get good cable managment out of it and overall good value.

i know the 1200 comes with quite a few fans. it would seem that a few people use the h50 with an extra fan...one colling the water and one extracting the air outside the case, exhaust fan. like you say theres probably enough fans in the 1200!

differnce between the Asus P6T and the Asus P6T SE i believe is the use of crossfire or SLI. im going with crossfire with 2 ATI 5770's so the board will support this, i believe the SE will not. infact i think the P6T supports up to 3 graphics cards.

regarding your 'haggling' GET ME SOME! lol

cmndr_andi:

well spoted, thanks! theres a few things like that i have noticed on the overclockers site. as parts are on/off offer daily your basket could go up or down in price if its there a week or so. will double check everything before payment!

ive added the extension cable just to be safe.

not keen on the fractal design tbh.

yi i underdtand what your saying, might be just getting standard HD for now, can always swap them over when the price drops.

thanks for the comments guys, will revise my component list now.

Back
Top Bottom