• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Physx card 9500gt?

Soldato
Hi,

i have a ati 4890 for a spare rig, which had a nvidia 9500gt, is there any point keeping it in and using it as a physx card? i think it can be used along with the ati with some modded drivers

also im using a p55 board, so will adding this card mean that the ati card will run at pci-express x8 instead of 16?

or should i just stick it in the cupboard and not bother :p

looking at the link below it seems a 9500gt is quite capable of performing the physx duties

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=633&pageid=10

any thoughts?

thanks

p.s i am using windows 7

Soldato
OP
If it's doing nothing shove it in.

9500GT's make great PhysX cards as they are low power, quiet, and require no external power :)

yeah its got a silent cooler on it too, will it hinder the performance of the main card though, and is it just simple as installing the modded nvidia drivers as normal, never really gone into the world of physx before :p

Associate
Yes it will drop to x8/x8 if you plug two cards into the primary PCI-E slots.

Some have an additional x4 slot (maybe x16 physically) however that is attaced to the P55 rather then the PCI-E on the CPU.

In terms of dropping from an x16 slot with a 4890 then the performance difference (if any) will be benchmark noticeable, in that only notice because you run a benchmark, rather then actually noticeable in everyday use.

Soldato
OP
ok well i did it

basically you install the 191.07 drivers or others will work

then use the physx mod patch here - av complains its a virus / trojan but its not

then i had to connect the nvidia card up to the dell, both ati and nvidia cards connected to the dell, this was to activate the nvidia card & control panel, enabled physx and it works

tried fluid mark and it shows as hardware physx enabled

right now, both cards are running at 8x confirmed by gpu-z

so, what games are physx enabled? :p

82013521.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
How many stream proccessors are required to make a good Physx card?

On Xtreme Systems I were advised not to get anything with less than 64 stream proccessors, and also I need a single slot card with no additional power.

The best I found was a Zotac 9800 GT Synergy edition, but I dont really want to pay £80 on that when the Asus GTS 250 is the same price, but it has a dual slot cooler so wont fit :(

THe new GT 240 looked to be just right, but annoyingly, all the current ones are dual slot with a dual stol I/O panel too so they definately wont fit.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
32 min, lowest card that actually gives any benefit is the 8600GT, preferably you want a 9500GT min to get a decent boost.

Best card is like a 9600GSO with 96 stream processors while being really cheap.

so, what games are physx enabled? :p

Batman AA
Mirrors Edge
UT3
Cryostasis

Few others I can't remember...

Permabanned
I spotted an Asus EN9600GTO a couple of days back for £33, but it went out of stock and it was the 48 stream proccessor 512 meg version.

I'll keep looking around for a good deal.

The 384 mb GSOs are out of stock everywhere :(

I would love to play Sacred 2 with Physx, dont thnk I have any other games which use it.

Last edited:
Soldato
This maybe a noobish question, but whats the trade off in terms of general game performance by dropping down to 8x as opposed to 16x, and is it worth the trade for physx?

reason I ask is my mobo does not support 2x16 SLI, but the idea of buying a cheap 'slave' gpu is quite appealing...

Associate
I doubt you will see any difference dropping to 8x from 16, plenty of articles about this around the net, even with the most bandwidth hungry cards in benchmarks you see maybe 1-2% difference.

This whole PCie 8 vs 16 lanes debate was born in the time of early Sli with PCie 1.0. Now with PCie 2 the bandwidth has doubled per lane hence its not a problem really any more.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still any point of getting an original physx card and slamming that in with my 4870?

well i think you;ll still have the same problem as above and would need to use the same hack procedure above, nvidia acquired ageia and nvidia supply the drivers for the ageia cards, well at least the latest ones

... i think

Soldato
A 9500GT will struggle as a physX card, you may as well sell it maddness. For example Eidos recommends using a GTX 260 + 9800GTX for "High" PhysX on Batman.

One of my mates actually tried a 9500GT for dedicated PhysX and he ended up upgrading it to a GTS250 because of the poor performance gains it gave.

Back
Top Bottom