• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

just benchmarked my new i7 920

Associate
Hi all I just benchmarked my i7 in 3DMarks06

here are my system specs

cpu: i7 920 D0 + cooler master v8
memory: Dominator 3GB 1600Mhz + Corsair Airflow
mobo: x58ud3r
gpu: xfx 4890
psu: corsair tx650w

wow what a change from my AMD athlon 64 +4400 x2, I got about 6500 from my +4400, but with my 920 I got 16713, now comes the hard bit, do I overclock it?

I ask be cos I don't wont to void my warranty, but do wont to see what this bad boy can do, dose any one else have the same or simale specs to this and did you overclock? and if so what benchmark did you get in 3DMarks06?

my love for this chip has only just started...

Soldato
I've never run 3dmarks06, nor will I ever do so. I think you want the graphics forum for that, though I'm not sure they'll be particularly interested either.

Your warranty is already void, you're using the cpu with a cooler other than the intel stock fan. You're probably also using paste other than the intel stock paste. However the reality is that intel are very unlikely to bother checking what paste was used, and similarly unlikely to find out if it's been overclocked or not. It's just not worth their time doing so. Also note that processors are nearly indestructible, you're much more likely to kill your board or ram than the processor. Corsair are ridiculously good with warranties, and Gigabyte are as good as motherboard manufacturers get.

In short, discard warranty issues as irrelevant when overclocking. As to whether you should overclock or not, given you're asking overclockers the answer will be a resounding yes.

Caporegime
Definitely overclock, the last time i ran 3dm06 was almost a year ago, at that time i was running a q6600 at 3.8ghz with a very highly clocked gtx 280, score of 19490 iirc, decided to try it the other night, i7 at 3.6ghz, vid card at stock. 19800, 3dmark isnt really a great indicator of performance compared to real apps, particularly 06 as it's quite old now

Associate
OP
thanks for the info, I just wonted to know what every one else thought of the hole warranty thing, be cos I have only ever overclocked once, and did not wont to fry my new cpu which has take me about 2 and 1/2 mouths to save for.

this has bin a long wait for parts as the 1st thing I got was the motherboard, and this was a bad move I know, so all in all its bin about 7/8 mouths from the get go, and have edgily awaited getting my cpu.

the reason I used 3dmark, is be cos it tests every thing, cpu, gpu, memory, and thats what I wonted to use to compare it with on my old PC.

Soldato
I think you'll be wanting to overclock your i7 for higher results. An i7 at 3.6Ghz-3.8Ghz with a setup like that should be hitting over 20k.

Last edited:
Associate
3d mark 06 is very cpu limited so the score basically scales directly with clock speed. I scribbled a few numbers down when i was overclocking my rig.

My i5 + 5850 @ 2.66 stock got 17k

i5 @ 3.36GHz w/ turbo got 20.2k

i5 @ 3.6GHz got 21.5k

i5 @ 3.7GHz got 21.8k

i5 @ 3.7GHz + 5850 oc got 22.3k

Caporegime
3d mark 06 is very cpu limited so the score basically scales directly with clock speed. I scribbled a few numbers down when i was overclocking my rig.

My i5 + 5850 @ 2.66 stock got 17k

i5 @ 3.36GHz w/ turbo got 20.2k

i5 @ 3.6GHz got 21.5k

i5 @ 3.7GHz got 21.8k

i5 @ 3.7GHz + 5850 oc got 22.3k
Overclock your graphics card and youll see a bit more in 06, though as ive mentioned before, its an old bencmark app that doesnt realy apply to modern hardware, 3dmark vantage is the latest graphics benchmark app, (not that i use it) im too busy playing games, which is where the fun is, dont get hung up on benchmarks, they never reflect your own real life usage.:)

Associate
Hmm at stock speeds i only get like 15000 with my i7.. an overclock to 4ghz brings me to 17000.. how odd.

Just retested at 3.8ghz, 17078 is the result.

I've only got a single 4870 though :)

Last edited:
Associate
This thread is pretty silly, how is a score quantifiable? Really it means nothing, what you want is real situations, like compiling times and framerates.

Soldato
RE Overlocking, stock i7 is very fast unless you run applications that need more power don't bother.

Last edited:
Associate
RE Overlocking, stock i7 is very fast unless you run applications that need more power don't bother.

Eh? where's the fun in that ? he should at least have a play about with it. My advise is overclock, see what difference you get in apps you run day to day, you can always remove the OC if you want. I found in the past OC;ing my PC's was the best way to learn all about what all the settings do and besides, OCing is part of he fun of owning a decent PC.

Soldato
Your warranty is already void, you're using the cpu with a cooler other than the intel stock fan. You're probably also using paste other than the intel stock paste.

I beg to differ, I remember reading about this on another computer related forum, and after a quick search I found it again.

Hello Everyone

I have spoken directly to the Intel rep who luckilly is here in person at **** today. Firstly Intel WILL NOT void the warranty on the CPU for use of aftermarket air or water cooling, providing the use of such has not directly contributed to the failure, however, they will not take into account any results or temperatures produced whilst aftermarket cooling is in use.

Specifically any readings provided to Intel for warranty purposes MUST have been obtained whilst setup in a system using the supplied heat, sink & fan with the retail CPU.

Hope this clarifies the situation for everyone.

Soldato
Unfortunately that disagrees with what I could extract from an intel rep. They even gave me a link to a US website where I could buy intel qualified thermal paste.

I was trying to determine if using liquid pro as tim would void warranty as it marks the surface of the ihs. The conclusion was definitely that any non standard paste and any alternative cooler voids the warranty, it comes under using the processor in an usual environment. I even got the poor guy to point at the section in the warranty which is broken by the use of different cooling.

It's reported in a thread on here somewhere, trying to work out how to find it. I'd be interested if you can get intel to state otherwise, I used their online support rather than email

Back
Top Bottom