*** NEW Fractal Design Case - Coming Soon ***

Soldato
OP
Oh and I have had a meeting with Fractal today - Amongst other things, I discussed the 140mm fans, and the issues with it.
The 7 fin fans are revised, they hjave the same air flow and nosie levels so performance is not a issue. However the issue of the fans and their rubber mounting is now being addressed, any further stocks will be corrected.

Associate
However the issue of the fans and their rubber mounting is now being addressed, any further stocks will be corrected.

Thanks, Ace! Will we be able to RMA the current fans? (I have three being delivered tomorrow, unfortunately! :() If we're unable to attach them using the supplied rubber mounts, they're not exactly fit for purpose!

(OK, there are regular screws, too, but rubber mounts are preferable for a reason -- and Fractal Design is all about noise reduction, as far as I can tell.)

EDIT: Can/should I refuse that order (they were in their own order, so they should be packaged separately?), and let DPD return it to OcUK?

Last edited:
Associate
Oh and I have had a meeting with Fractal today - Amongst other things, I discussed the 140mm fans, and the issues with it.
The 7 fin fans are revised, they have the same air flow and nosie levels so performance is not a issue. However the issue of the fans and their rubber mounting is now being addressed, any further stocks will be corrected.

thanks for clearing that up Ace, although i have no problems using the screws provided im glad the problem is being rectified

Associate
thinking of geting this case today so what does the case need replacing for these thight fits is it the fans or some sort of rubber gromit ? what part is it

if i buy today will ocuk replace these parts later on without sending the case back ?

thanks

Associate
I purchased the Black Pearl case yesterday wooo. Now want to buy two 140mm for the top. Will the 5 left currently in stock still have the rubber mounting issues?

Associate
For my new build I bought a Lian-Li PC-A17 since I liked its modularity and found it perfect aesthetically... Only I didn't account for the noise of the 3 Noctua NF-S12B that the case doesn't absorb in the least. Maybe it's due to its aluminum nature, I don't know. I even feel the vibrations of the hard-disk drive are amplified by the chassis. What's more, it doesn't have a lot of room to tuck cables in in the back (and the side panel is bumpy now), and the cable holes are cut unprotected and already damaging cable sleeves.

I had to buy the Lian-Li from Germany since I couldn't find it anywhere else, so I was disappointed with the product to say the least, especially after reading all these positive reviews. The PC-A17 is just not worth its premium price.

The Fractal Design Define R2 though, it seems to be the polar opposite of that Lian-Li aluminum case: big fat solid steel chassis supporting thick bitumen layered inner panels. Looks rock stable. And from the few reviews I've read, very, very silent. Plus, it has good cable management abilities with rubber protected cable holes. And to top it all off, it looks stunning. So I couldn't resist and ordered it along with additional FD fans just in case :D.

Definitely looking forward to feedback from other Define R2 (future-)owners.

Last edited:
Associate
first off using the screws is enough for silent mounting of fans as they pull tight so they isnt any space for vibratino and secondly to roman you cant go wrong mate i have the black pearl and cant find no faults with it especially the sense of strength it has since there isnt no ponsy tolless design to it really just thumb screws for the most of it instead of clips and things but it is heavy so dnt plan on lifting it to often nless you wana put yer back out lol

Associate
Having a stupidly high numbers of 5.25" bays is much better option then having only a few 5.25" bays ....
I could get by with just a single 5.25" bay for an optical drive, and I only ever use that for installing the OS and ripping the occasional CD. I'd bet my usage is fairly typical for many people these days, and a stack of 5.25" bays in a mid-sized case is just so much wasted space.

For those who *do* need loads of 5.25" bays for some reason, there's already plenty of choice on the market.

3.5" HDD bays are another matter, and the more of them (including enough space for noise-absorbing mounts and decent airflow), the better. :)

Soldato
Received by Black Pearl case today.

Fantastic look and build quality!

I think I will do a seperate thread tommorow detailing my build (going from old case through anal cable management, to complete build).

I have moved the rear fan (replaced with my H50) to the front (controlled by the included fan controller) and have two additional 120mm fans on the roof (from my old case) controlled by my old fan controller (attached to the inside of the case). I am really pleased with the results to be honest.

My back hurts something chronic though thanks to meticulous cable routing (damn non modular PSU!).

Back
Top Bottom