Got flashed by a GATSO.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
The 40 limit applies to LGV's on a dual carriageway that has no central reservation (that stretch has just a white line) effectively this makes the road to all intense & purpose a single carriageway as far as HGV drivers are concerned.

The definition of a single carriageway is what you have just described and that applies to cars as well as HGVs. Lots of people think that "dual carriageway" means two or more lanes in each direction, but it doesn't, it means that there is a physically separate carriageway for vehicles traveling in the opposite direction. Number of lanes is irrelevent. Physical separation can be anything from a grass verge or a curbstone up to concrete barriers or physically separate bits of road with nothing between them but a gap and a nice plummet into the river below.

Lots of people get caught out by this, doing 70 when there are two lanes in each direction with just paint, and more annoyingly on the few stretches of single-lane dual-carriageway there are far far too many idiots still doing 60.

Caporegime
OP
The definition of a single carriageway is what you have just described and that applies to cars as well as HGVs. Lots of people think that "dual carriageway" means two or more lanes in each direction, but it doesn't, it means that there is a physically separate carriageway for vehicles traveling in the opposite direction. Number of lanes is irrelevent. Physical separation can be anything from a grass verge or a curbstone up to concrete barriers or physically separate bits of road with nothing between them but a gap and a nice plummet into the river below.

Lots of people get caught out by this, doing 70 when there are two lanes in each direction with just paint, and more annoyingly on the few stretches of single-lane dual-carriageway there are far far too many idiots still doing 60.

I agree mate, I was refering more to the fact that HGV's are restricted on such roads where cars are not and can travel at the posted limit. :)

O/T but what kind of cider were you carrying?

I'm drooling.

12 Pallets of Bulmers & 14 Pallets of Strongbow Iirc. :)

Soldato
Hmm, are you more than 7.5 tonnes unladen? They don't know if you were carrying cider or not :p

I would imagine so and I dont think it matters anyway even if he was unladen.

The ruling for vans is for a van with a total potential mass weight of over 2 tonnes.

It doesnt matter if your vans empty and only weighs 1.5T, you still have to do the lower NSL limits.

I would expect the HGV one to be the same as its clear cut then.

Soldato
Under the Post Office Act, 1st class post is deemed to have arrived within 10 days of it being sent. This applies as much to bank statements and bills as it does to speeding fines (except in Northern Ireland). Most police forces these days are scanning the outgoing envelopes to provide proof of postage.

most people did think that:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18073135&highlight=precedent

They have to send it expecting it to arrive within 2 weeks.

The courts have recently disagreed with you, proof of postage is not sufficient, there should be proof of receipt. Bank statements and bills are somewhat different in that you have an alternative way of finding the information, and it's information that you should already be privvy to. It's perfectly feasible that you could have been snapped without any knowledge of the event happening.
Also I'm not sure that there's any legal legislation stating a bill/bank statement has to arrive within 14 days or it's void, there is for speeding tickets.

Soldato
Until recently there were no such sensors on thet stretch of the A556, its common knowledge in the trucking community that they were fitted recently when the A556 was re-surfaced. Thats how they can tell the difference in size / weight of vehicle.

Ironically that road (between the M6 and M56) was pretty dangerous until it was resurfaced a couple of years ago. It was mostly NSL with two lanes in each direction and no central reservation. Lighting was poor and the surface worn out and not particularly grippy. No speed enforcement unless you count the odd traffic car so it was common to get fools blasting down there at 80mph plus.

It then gets resurfaced, the lighting is brought up to modern standards at which point they drop the speed limit and post multiple scamera's down that section.

Joined up thinking?

Soldato
The courts have recently disagreed with you, proof of postage is not sufficient, there should be proof of receipt. Bank statements and bills are somewhat different in that you have an alternative way of finding the information, and it's information that you should already be privvy to. It's perfectly feasible that you could have been snapped without any knowledge of the event happening.
Also I'm not sure that there's any legal legislation stating a bill/bank statement has to arrive within 14 days or it's void, there is for speeding tickets.

If there had to be proof of receipt, no-one who ever contested their ticket from now on would have to pay the fine if they just held onto it for a few days/'lost' it, because no police force uses recorded delivery. If you're referring to the recent ruling, it was that the NOIP had to be sent out with reasonable expectation that it would be delivered within the 14 day period - the only reason the guy got off was because the postal strikes delayed the letter AND the police force knew about the postal strikes before, so should have made provision. In other words, there was not reasonable expectation that the letter would arrive in time.

Soldato
Just past the BP Filling Station opposite Bucklow Hill Garage - had the sodding things changed prior to me going through I would have been no where near that speed after pulling away at that weight... :(

If you were behind a black AMG S65 you would have been doing less than 40. The numpty behind the wheel of that 600BHP car slows down from >60 to <40 to go through those cameras. He doesn't like it when I go past on the inside doing ~55. :D

Last edited:
Associate
My school double-decker bus weighed just over 6 tonnes so it was worth a shot :p

PSV vehicles can only do 50mph on single carriageway roads 60 on dual and 70 on motorways.

Not heard of any PSV drivers getting fined on NSL roads for going over 50, But my step dad has been done in an artic for going over 40.

Why have a speed limit of 70 on a motorway if coaches/busses are restricted to 65?

Associate
You will probably be offered a speed awareness course. Cost's £60 and you don't get points. (If it got you)
Seems to be happening to most of the people I know who have been caught speeding in the Manchester area.

Caporegime
OP
You will probably be offered a speed awareness course. Cost's £60 and you don't get points. (If it got you)
Seems to be happening to most of the people I know who have been caught speeding in the Manchester area.

Not as an LGV Licence holder I won't. It'll be points for me, guaranteed.

Caporegime
OP
Fingers crossed for you mate!

Out of interest, where abouts to you get to on your rounds? Literally both ends of the UK? Lorry driving is something I've always thought was so cool :D

Cheers.

Currently, I travel from Staffordshire to the Scottish Borders, but have previously worked all over the UK - I can get to most places in the country without looking at my Road Atlas at all! :o

The driving the truck bit is as cool as you like, the job, in reality, is far from that!!!

Back
Top Bottom