Vets!

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Well the last 48hours have been fun on Thursday we found our male cat with a wound to his back right paw, it was quite bad to be fair to him. So we took our cat to the local vet which we registerd to when they were kittens. Anyway a nice £280 bill at the end of it all , and tonight he's been nawing at the blood wound even with a buster cone on (LOL its funny with the cone) and open up one of the stitches so just gone to a night vet another £185 :( £466 total so far!!!

I just hope pet plan cough up as it's the first time we have used them in a year and a half

Associate
I had a similar thing with my cat a few years ago. Pet Plan coughed up with no issues. More expensive than the rest but customer service has been good for me anyway.

Soldato
people bring their pets miles to our vets ,they are good but also very cheap ,for an examination and basic treatment its nearly always <£15 our biggest dog had a very bad cut and with the stitches and follow on treatment was about £50

Caporegime
Well the last 48hours have been fun on Thursday we found our male cat with a wound to his back right paw, it was quite bad to be fair to him. So we took our cat to the local vet which we registerd to when they were kittens. Anyway a nice £280 bill at the end of it all , and tonight he's been nawing at the blood wound even with a buster cone on (LOL its funny with the cone) and open up one of the stitches so just gone to a night vet another £185 :( £466 total so far!!!

I just hope pet plan cough up as it's the first time we have used them in a year and a half

My older a Sister is a Vet, my younger in 3rd yera at the Royal Dick (Edinburgh vet school)

Vets are expensive but the skills and knowledge justify the price. It is much, much much harder to become a vet than a doctor. (and coincedently, a vet can legally provide medicial care to a human in an emergency, but a doctor can not administer medical care to an animal).

And to put costs in to perspective. next time you got to A&E ask for the bill instead of letting the tax payer cover the costs. When you loose a grand for a few stiches and anti-biotics it will put the vetinary bill in perspective.

Last edited:
Associate
My wife is also a vet (8 years at uni and 2 degrees later) she works 80 hours a week for around 30k. Most of your bill is drugs costs not the wages of vets. Think about teachers / doctors & MP how much are they on??

Associate
About a year ago our pet insurance (Direct line) paid up £3000 for our cat. It wasnt a problem getting the insurance to pay, the problem was getting the vet to go through the insurance for all the costs. They wanted us to pay up and claim it back from Direct line. I told the vet where to go basically and to either treat the cat and go through the insurance or put the cat down - they went through the insurance needless to say.

Anyway, hope your cat is ok.

Last edited:
Permabanned
5 months ago my rottie was diagnosed with liver cancer, went under a lot of treatment - only 2 yrs old :( he was put to sleep about 2 months ago and wasnt insured and cost the best part of £4k in total :\

Soldato
I should have trained to be a vet, £466 for a few stitches :eek:. I think i would have busted out the sowing kit and done it myself.

in the 90s my dad used to have that way of thought with our old cat. the one that stands out most in my memory was when it came back after obviously fighting and had a cm tear out its ear. my dad had been drinking so couldnt take it to the vets anyway... cat got the savalon and tcp treatment :p:eek: the next morning someone managed to decide ''looks fine'' he lived till 21 with that chunk missing out of his ear and other assortments of battle scars

used his 9 lives up good and proper he did. similar storys for our other cats. vets is a last resort unless its obviously serious. use the same sort of reasoning as i would deciding wether to go to drs/hospital myself

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife is also a vet (8 years at uni and 2 degrees later) she works 80 hours a week for around 30k. Most of your bill is drugs costs not the wages of vets. Think about teachers / doctors & MP how much are they on??

teachers are on very low wages for what they do imo

what expensive drugs are needed for stitches ? especially with small animals like cats where dosages will be tiny anyway

i dont even think i can believe that 30k for 80hours a week either. seems outrageously low.

Last edited:
Associate
I have to admit i think that vets fees are way too high, when our cat was ill they suggested she would be better off at the Royal Vetinary Hospital in Edinburgh ( or what ever its called) so i say "erm ok, your claiming through the insurance so yeah no probs send her there", i couldnt believe it when this reply came " erm so when can you take her" i replied what do you mean "when can i take her, i cant !" the next reply shocked me even more - "why, dont you have a car......". No i replied its like a 300mile round trip and if she is getting just as good treatment where she is (which they agreed she was) then im not taking her !

The cheek of it............

Associate
About a year ago our pet insurance (Direct line) paid up £3000 for our cat. It wasnt a problem getting the insurance to pay, the problem was getting the vet to go through the insurance for all the costs. They wanted us to pay up and claim it back from Direct line. I told the vet where to go basically and to either treat the cat and go through the insurance or put the cat down - they went through the insurance needless to say.

Anyway, hope your cat is ok.

What would you have done if he said that he'd PTS?! :eek:

My animals are not insured, rats can't really get insured easily and both my cats are indoor only so less chance of them getting hurt. We do however put money away every month for them. If one of them was ill and we didn't have enough money, I would beg, borrow and steal to get it. My animals are like my children, I would never take a risk with their life like that and I find it quite sickening tbh that you could gamble with something elses life. :mad:

Associate
What would you have done if he said that he'd PTS?! :eek:

We had already paid out over £200, they then wanted another £200 or so for more tests, we simply did not have the money and we were insured ! The insurance had already agreed to meet the costs of the treatment. The vets however wouldnt go directly through them and wanted us to pay. They would have however gone directly through PetPlan that they endorsed in the surgery !!!!

Anyway i said i didnt have the money so if they wanted to continue to treat the cat then they WOULD have to go directly through the insurance. They twisted their faces at this. I simply said "look, i dont have the money. The cat is insured and they have agreed to meet the cost of all the treatment. Either put down a cat with a condition that could possibly be treated or treat her. Either way i dont have the money and a cat that could be treated may have to be destroyed over a technicality ie you wont deal with the insurance company direct ! Like i said they caved in and treated her without us having to pay any further bills.

This may sound harsh but i was quite prepaired for the cat to be destroyed, we didnt have the money and they were being difficult. As i said to them the whole point of having insurance is to avoid situations like and to put you in the situation where you dont have to worry about money and your pet comes first as the insurance will cover the costs.

Now i know there are people out there who will do anything for there pets but im sorry in this case the final bill of just over £3000 was just to great and there was no way we could have constanly paid out money to that amount - regardless of the fact we would have gotten it back as we just didnt have it in the first place.

My animals are like my children, I would never take a risk with their life like that and I find it quite sickening tbh that you could gamble with something elses life.

I take good care of my pets and i love my pets but just because i do not value their lives as you do that does not make me a bad person !

Last edited:
Associate
teachers are on very low wages for what they do imo

what expensive drugs are needed for stitches ? especially with small animals like cats where dosages will be tiny anyway

i dont even think i can believe that 30k for 80hours a week either. seems outrageously low.

Teachers on a low wage ?? ( how many weeks hols do they get every year? Maybe is it 10?) You don't see teachers calving cows at 2am or dealing with dogs with parvo and s###ing all over the place. Not all vets earn shed loads money like on tv. And yes she does earn 30k new grads earn less.

Caporegime
I have to admit i think that vets fees are way too high, when our cat was ill they suggested she would be better off at the Royal Vetinary Hospital in Edinburgh ( or what ever its called) so i say "erm ok, your claiming through the insurance so yeah no probs send her there", i couldnt believe it when this reply came " erm so when can you take her" i replied what do you mean "when can i take her, i cant !" the next reply shocked me even more - "why, dont you have a car......". No i replied its like a 300mile round trip and if she is getting just as good treatment where she is (which they agreed she was) then im not taking her !

The cheek of it............

You are the owner of the pet.
You are the oen with pet insurance, not the vet.

ERGO, it is up to you to pay and sort out with insurance. Simple and obvious!

Back
Top Bottom