XP 32bit to 7 64bit

Associate
Hey guys, quick question here - I have XP32bit and want to use the student upgrade to go to 7 64bit. Is this possible? I don't mind doing a clean install.

Cheers guys

Soldato
Why on earth would he need to do that?

You have 3 options:

• Follow THIS GUIDE to turning that download into a bootable DVD
  • Contact Digital River HERE and request the 64bit ISO download. In the drop down box choose Download Question and make sure "64-bit Windows 7 Solution" is in the first line of your problem description.
  • Install using a Retail DVD and use your Upgrade key to activate. Absolutely no need to reinstall over the top of Windows 7 again :confused:

Option 2 and 3 are the easiest.

I used 3 with both my student keys at home.

Windows 7 does move all the old Windows stuff into a folder called windows.old if you choose to install over the top of XP. It always safe to backup anyway though. If you format first then you definitely should back up :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think he was alluding to the fact that the "upgrade" media is a bit more difficult to do a clean install with. I'm guessing the digital download version is different again.

Soldato
The key works on a Retail installed Windows 7, so if you have access to a Retail disc you can just use your Student key. I don't get why you would upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 7. The fact you managed to install it all means you have something to install from, so just use your key. No need to upgrade after installing...

Maybe I am missing something :/

Soldato
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

There is a slight issue with upgrade media - not saying anyone is right or wrong, just different. :D

Ah, I see. Never came across it before although all my installs have been Student or Retail. It would seem the Upgrade Media is different to the Student upgrade.

So, if I buy the student deal (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/), and use a fresh, clean, retail install, I can then use my key to install it?

Yes. If you can find someone to lend you a Retail 64bit Windows 7 DVD you can install it and use your student key. I have done this exact same process twice on machines at home and it was also successful for a friend.

If you can't get a loan of a Windows 7 DVD, try the second link I posted. You can request a download link from Digital River to a Windows DVD .iso which you can burn to a disc.

You may need to make sure the Retail DVD you use is the same version as the key you bought [either Professional or Home Premium]. Although all the discs contain all the versions [to enable Anytime Upgrades] there may be issues. I would test to find out either way, but I don't have access to anything but Retail Professional.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom