Mounting virtual drives in Win 7

Soldato
I'm having trouble with my normal go-to softwares. CloneCD won't read mdf/mds files, Daemon tools is having fits over compatability and Alcohol gets stuck in a loop during installation - retessing the computer at the required point boots the install up from the very start again, and won't complete. Anyone know how I can fix any of these, or suggest another program?

Don
Not entirely true, you can't force it to not install the horrific SPTI driver that comes with it.
Try ripping a movie (dvd or bluray) to HD and see how slow it goes.
Then, once you have used the removal tool to kill off the crap driver and install VCD, rip the same movie and be amazed at the difference.

Exactly

Everyone jumps in to defend Daemon Tools, but it really is shocking. It's up there with Quicktime and iTunes

Soldato
I went to Power ISO after I got the same compatibility issues. Bit irritating having to convert my mds files so they'd boot, but otherwise it's all good so far.

Soldato
New version of Daemon Tools (Lite version that is) is out which finally has official Windows 7 support and I have no problems with it.

Virtual Clone Drive is the much better and simplier program to use, but just a shame it doesn't support certain file image formats, hence the reason I have to stick with Daemon. Again I don't have any problems with it so I'm just in the minority.

Soldato
Not entirely true, you can't force it to not install the horrific SPTI driver that comes with it.
Try ripping a movie (dvd or bluray) to HD and see how slow it goes.
Then, once you have used the removal tool to kill off the crap driver and install VCD, rip the same movie and be amazed at the difference.

I've never used it in that respect so have never come across that problem. but handy to know :)
For what i use it for deamon has been flawless, bar the initial Win7 RC compatibility problems (In there defence it was working by the time Win7 was released). Not got a lot of good to say about DT's other than it just works and has a nicer/cleaner interface than VCD imo.

Soldato
OP
I've been floating along with Virtual Clonedrive for a while, but it just won't load certain .mds files. Whide Daemon Tools may be the inferior software, I've never run into an image I coundn't mount. If only I could get the ****ing thing to install without this stupid SPTD 1.60 error - the regedit fix did nothing, so I just don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom