• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Downgrading to?

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
Off Topic:

Seriously some of guys need nothing more than a good IGP to display crisp web browser text the amount of time you spend on the forum beating your meat over what GPU you should own! :p

If you note down the hours you spend pawing through benchmarks and such like and convert that into minimum wage you could probably afford a Radeon HD 5850! :o

I just bought a used £60.00 Radeon HD 4870 512MB for gaming at 1920x1200 an it's awesome, in real world useage I can't tell the difference between it and a 1GB HD4890 . . .

Oh well as long as your enjoying yourself but from a 3rd party perspective it seems some of you can't see the wood for the tree's! . . . . B E N C H M A R K - A D D I C T S! :eek:

damn, you're always htting the spot. be my GF.

Soldato
I must admit, I've been contemplating doing summat similar to the OP, moving me gigabyte 5850 on and getting something more appropriate for the useage it gets. I don't game that much and the 5850 purchase was a bit of an impulse buy. Got caught up in all the benchie fever that was going on (and still is to a lesser degree atm) and forgot that benchies mean squat to me, I prefer to see how the games run, afterall, thats what the card was designed to do, I only run say 3dmark once or twice to get an indication if the card is working fine, after that, never touch any benchies at all, just games.
I'm finding it a little difficult atm to justify me purchase basically for the use it gets, but the extra cash I would have isn't that great (relatively speaking) so its a decision I've got yo make for meself.:)

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
I must admit, I've been contemplating doing summat similar to the OP, moving me gigabyte 5850 on and getting something more appropriate for the useage it gets. I don't game that much and the 5850 purchase was a bit of an impulse buy. Got caught up in all the benchie fever that was going on (and still is to a lesser degree atm) and forgot that benchies mean squat to me, I prefer to see how the games run, afterall, thats what the card was designed to do, I only run say 3dmark once or twice to get an indication if the card is working fine, after that, never touch any benchies at all, just games.
I'm finding it a little difficult atm to justify me purchase basically for the use it gets, but the extra cash I would have isn't that great (relatively speaking) so its a decision I've got yo make for meself.:)

exactly how I feel. You going to sell it on then?

Associate
Off Topic:

Seriously some of guys need nothing more than a good IGP to display crisp web browser text the amount of time you spend on the forum beating your meat over what GPU you should own! :p

If you note down the hours you spend pawing through benchmarks and such like and convert that into minimum wage you could probably afford a Radeon HD 5850! :o

I just bought a used £60.00 Radeon HD 4870 512MB for gaming at 1920x1200 an it's awesome, in real world useage I can't tell the difference between it and a 1GB HD4890 . . .

Oh well as long as your enjoying yourself but from a 3rd party perspective it seems some of you can't see the wood for the tree's! . . . . B E N C H M A R K - A D D I C T S! :eek:
£60 for a 4870.... maybe I should get a cheap 4850 and xfire them... would save me £150 :)

Soldato
Considering you still want performance, you would be mad to get rid of it!

My point is I don't need the performance. I'm running at 1680 x 1050 (max screen res) and turning some details down in the game options doesn't really affect the games visually that much (to my knackered eyes at least), all I need is to able to run 2 x AA and I'm happy. Like I said, I got caught in all the hype an' all and it was an impluse buy to some degree and we all like shiney new toys from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the performance increase over me old GTX260, but do I need the extra grunt?, well not really:p
So if I can claw back a bit of dosh from me purchase then I'd be happy, just need to make a decision between a 4890 or 5770 although its looking more like a 4890 atm.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've done this loads.
I spent loads on my rig, yet all I do is browse the web.
I owned a 4870x2 before, and two Raptors as well, I changed my 940 to a 965 as shown also. I did have 8GB Corsair RAM but changed to 4GB pc8500.
=/.

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
I've done this loads.
I spent loads on my rig, yet all I do is browse the web.
I owned a 4870x2 before, and two Raptors as well, I changed my 940 to a 965 as shown also. I did have 8GB Corsair RAM but changed to 4GB pc8500.
=/.

lol! did you lose out on it then?

Caporegime
lol! did you lose out on it then?

Well.
I sold my raptors for 80 more than I bought them.
Sold my 4870x2 for 160 pound, but then paypal messed up, and I ended up with 320 pound (Out of Paypal's pocket).
My SSD's cost me 200 quid (Argh)
I got my 965 for 70 quid after selling my 940.
I paid like 40 for my RAM, I sold my two kits for 60 quid

I've lost around 100 pound.

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
Well.
I sold my raptors for 80 more than I bought them.
Sold my 4870x2 for 160 pound, but then paypal messed up, and I ended up with 320 pound (Out of Paypal's pocket).
My SSD's cost me 200 quid (Argh)
I got my 965 for 70 quid after selling my 940.
I paid like 40 for my RAM, I sold my two kits for 60 quid

I've lost around 100 pound.

ah, not sure if £100 is much considering you were shuffling that lot around?

Please tell me more about the PayPal incident :)

Caporegime
I sold a product, a month late the seller said it was faulty, I closed my paypal as I was sure he'd messed with it.
Paypal refunded him (As I knew they would, my account didn't exist)
I got back my card and RMA'ed, I was given a brand new one and sold it, it's still shrink wrapped.

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
I sold a product, a month late the seller said it was faulty, I closed my paypal as I was sure he'd messed with it.
Paypal refunded him (As I knew they would, my account didn't exist)
I got back my card and RMA'ed, I was given a brand new one and sold it, it's still shrink wrapped.

so paypal was unable to take the funds from your account for the refund because it was closed?

Caporegime
so paypal was unable to take the funds from your account for the refund because it was closed?

Yes.
I only did it to cover myself because the card was fully working, and he'd said it broke after 3 days, despite having it a month.
I had offered to RMA it for him, but I needed the card first, to which he said no. If he'd sent me the card, I'd have had more money lol.

Back
Top Bottom