Corsair Obsidian 800D or Antec 1200

Associate
Yes..I've already had that debate :D In my experience they certainly do help, but only if the rear of the case is well ventilated (including the section I mentioned). I've had success using side-fans with the Silverstone TJ09, Cosmos S (with its huge one!), Akasa Eclipse (helped a lot) and Lian Li PC-P80 (an exhaust one). Also, a great deal depends on the components used and how each of those is cooled - like video cards that dump heat back inside the case etc.

It is annoying that the very best cases for air cooling are never the lookers.

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with the new Fortress, only read about it a couple of days ago, looks very promising.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will update when I get the fortress.

Yeah, I agree on the sidefan. It works well on the HAF922 as a fully loaded HD bay blocks the front intake a little so the sidefan helps with airflow, especially with gpu temps, and top of the case is really well ventillated.

I still don't understand how the 800D can be good for aircooling with a couple of cards in SLI using just 1 intake at the bottom of the case which has hardly any clearance from the floor.

Soldato
adding a large sidefan and cutting out the exhaust fans honeycomb mesh reduced my temps by 10-15degrees load n' idle:)

Associate
Love the 800D

+1 for the 800D, I had the Antec P190 before NO comparison to the 800D I love this case sooooo much room and the back door access to the back of the CPU makes changing the CPU cooler a breeze, I also added the Corsair H50 and the best thing didn't have to remove the motherboard, in my opinion it's worth it for that alone never mind the fantastic cable management.
One note of caution it's BIG very BIG
But I would recommend this without hesitation :D

C64

C64

Soldato
If you have the money for an 800D get the silverstone Tj07 instead.It's beyond me how anyone chooses the corsair over the silverstone unless they are fitting a triple rad up top.

Soldato
OP
This is enough to drive me certifiably insane, on the one hand I would like to watercool at some point in the future, I love the look and features the cable management and of course the ridiculous size of the 800D but worry about the air cooling though im currently only using a single gpu set up!

The 1200 is a beutiful case aswell but im planning on using the Asus Rampage 2 Extreme, and know its a tight fit and plus would like to run multi gpu's after ive invested in a decent monitor

Back
Top Bottom