Looking to buy a Mazda MX-5

Soldato
Since starting a new job a few months ago, I've decided to look into buying my first car and for the past year or two, I've taken a particular liking to the MX-5 especially the MK2 models. There's an MK2 MX-5 that popped up for sale (private) near me:

Mazda MX5 1.8iS (Black):

- W registration (2000)
- 54000 miles
- Full records
- MOT expires April 2010
- £3250

I haven't contacted the seller yet since I would like to ask a few questions on here as I've noticed that there's quite a lot of members on here with MX-5s :p

1. What are the differences between the 1.8i, 1.8iS and the 1.8i Sport models?
2. Is there a list of things that I should look out for when buying a second hand MK2 MX-5?
3. What is a reasonable price for a hard top?
4. From what I've seen, £3250 seems to be a good price for this car, is this true?
5. Does "full records" mean full service history?

Sorry for all the questions! :o

Soldato
Have you looked into insurance?

2 - Look out for suspension mods as this is very common for MX-5s. Bonus if it's been done but might be a double edged blade for insurance.

5 - I would take it to mean a full service history and records/receipts of money spent (if any).

Soldato
OP
Have you looked into insurance?

Forgot to mention that I'm a named driver on my mother's car and if I go with the same insurance company for my own car, I would have 2 years NCB. I've been quoted approximately £800 for fully comprehensive insurance. Is this a good price for this particular MX-5 for a 23 year old? :o

2 - Look out for suspension mods as this is very common for MX-5s. Bonus if it's been done but might be a double edged blade for insurance.

It seems to be standard from the looks of it and there has been no modifications listed on the advert.

Soldato
£800 sounds reasonable. I pay less for my S2000 at the same age but that's largely down to my location and somehow Adrian Flux quoting half everyone else was :/

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sounds like a good price to me.
IIRC, the i version is fairly de-specced, missing niceties like sports suspension, LSD, leather steering wheel and bigger alloys. The sport iS version is definitely worth having.

Very little goes wrong with them. Hard tops can be bought for around £500 s/h, but they need to be carefully stored when not in use, I'm told they're easy to scratch and frankly, why would you bother? I used my mk2 even in snow with the roof down (snow falls slower than rain, so you only need to exceed walking pace for it to go over the top). The only weather that I had a problem with was serious rain or fog (which is damn cold). Just make sure you have a decent hat in the glovebox.
Do check the roof. If they're folded when very cold, they can crack. The good news is that whilst Mazda wants something like £1500 for one, there are good aftermarket options for around £500.

Assuming the car your mention hasn't been thrashed, crashed or abused, go for it and do enjoy.

Man of Honour
1. What are the differences between the 1.8i, 1.8iS and the 1.8i Sport models?
2. Is there a list of things that I should look out for when buying a second hand MK2 MX-5?
3. What is a reasonable price for a hard top?
4. From what I've seen, £3250 seems to be a good price for this car, is this true?
5. Does "full records" mean full service history?

Sorry for all the questions! :o

1: as mentioned before the iS comes with a LSD, Sports suspension and some extras sometimes. The iS Sport is the same as the iS (just people getting confused)
2: check the drainage holes to make sure they are clear. Next to the back of the electric windows is a tray where the water runs off the roof to. This has holes to drain down to the floor outside the car. If they get blocked (check with water) they can leak into the cabin and rust random hard to repair bits :( - check for rust round the sills and the condition of the soft top, any cracks and tears are a good bargaining point. A new roof as mentioned is £500 but they can be repaired.
3. second hand ~ £350 but make sure its not warped - put it on the car and see how noisey it is while driving, should be significantly quieter than the softtop. the front edge, over the windscreen, should be totally flush.
4. that does sound like a good price (depending on condition obiously)
5. i would imagine so, may have been home serviced though... just check for stamps & remember Mazda stamps aren't always as good as indy ones!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your extremely helpful replies! :)

6. Does all the 1.8iS MX-5 include a 6 speed gearbox?
7. Does the same model include leather interior as standard or was that an option?

Associate
I know someone selling a Mazda MX-5 Eunos. It is an 18yr old limited V-spec edition. Has about 160000 miles on the clock which isn’t bad for its age. Leather interior and glass back screen which is rare. Has a new cd/mp3 player in it. Tax and Mot till next spring. Also its British Racing Green. They want £1800 for it if your interested.

Soldato
OP
No :p

It looks exactly the same except it wasn't as clean since it raining on the day I saw it. I have not seen the car advertised online asI saw it with a for sale sign on its window so hopefully that means there will be less interest :o

Soldato
I had a lovely 2000 1.8is with every factory option bar none.

Should never have sold it :).

Happy hunting.

Oh - seem to remember the cambelt change is at 60K..something to consider as it's a few hundred quid.

Back
Top Bottom