Wiring the living room for AV

Soldato
So we were getting the wall seperating our front and back living rooms knocked through and the guy who did it was about to make a big mistake. The lintel he was putting in wasn't strong enough for the job. Luckily we stopped him.

Anyway we're starting up again and now I'm thinking about av duties. I was going to get a plasma in the chimney breast but I thought I'd leave her be so we could stick a stove and piece of artwork on her.

I'm going to put in:

Minimum of 4 double gang outlets around the walls.
2 brush plates for speaker wire in the future.
Modular rj45 plates (unsure on how many I'll need but a minimum of 3 or 4).
Might add a telephone socket onto the modular plate so we can get rid of the unsightly one in the hall way.
Would like to get rid of the virgin media box on the wall and have the current slitter in some kind of box. The other wire will go off to the modem.

Couple of questions:

What is the minimum distance I should keep between the power cables and the Ethernet cables?
Perhaps I should stick a coaxial cable in so I can view the VM box updstairs?

Small wiring diagram:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/240/wiringdiagrame.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
but the R745 sockets would still need to terminate back to a phone socket somewhere or a PBX

could just have an RJ45 socket next to an existing BT socket somewhere in the house and use a patch cable at that end :) al cables need to terminate somewhere to something, that's a given :D

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
So we were getting the wall seperating our front and back living rooms knocked through and the guy who did it was about to make a big mistake. The lintel he was putting in wasn't strong enough for the job. Luckily we stopped him.

Anyway we're starting up again and now I'm thinking about av duties. I was going to get a plasma in the chimney breast but I thought I'd leave her be so we could stick a stove and piece of artwork on her.

I'm going to put in:

Minimum of 4 double gang outlets around the walls.
2 brush plates for speaker wire in the future.
Modular rj45 plates (unsure on how many I'll need but a minimum of 3 or 4).
Might add a telephone socket onto the modular plate so we can get rid of the unsightly one in the hall way.
Would like to get rid of the virgin media box on the wall and have the current slitter in some kind of box. The other wire will go off to the modem.

Couple of questions:

What is the minimum distance I should keep between the power cables and the Ethernet cables?
Perhaps I should stick a coaxial cable in so I can view the VM box updstairs?

Small wiring diagram:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/240/wiringdiagrame.jpg

Rather than brush plates for the speaker wire, I would put some good quality cable in the wall and terminate that with female banana socket faceplates. Far better than an ugly brush plate!
You can also get F-Connector faceplates and again run decent coax cable in the wall. This will let you hide the virgin coax nicely in the wall and should you move it later, an F Connector faceplate wont look unsightly. You can hide the splitters and anything like that in the wall cavity that way too.

Soldato
OP
I'm getting a better idea of what I'll need now. What's the minimum height of electrical sockets on the wall?

I'm going to draw up a plan for the sockets when I get home and post it here.

I'm not sure of where ill put speakers as we don't have any surround sound ones yet so I'm trying to arrange things for the future.

Soldato
OP
So the plan now is to get cat6 and wire 4 cat6 and shotgun coax to 3 areas in that room. Hopefully I'll cover all scenarios.

I originally wanted 1 single gang brush plate and one modular brush plate. I would have 2 cat6 plugs and 2 satellite coax and the remaining cat6 in the brush plate so I can pull them out of the brush plate and connect them directly. I am actually thinking a double gang modular plate would be a better idea but I'm having problems looking for them. i can't see them on TLC.

1)What type of cat6 do I need for streaming hd content? UTP?
2)how do I connect the coax to the patch plate? via rj45?
3)any specific patch plate I need?

Soldato
OP
Off topic but sack your builder cause hes a cowboy if he was going to make that mistake

We did. We got another builder to complete the work but the engineer has done the calculations incorrectly or the builder hasn't followed his instructions correctly because the council want us to rip down the piers that we have rebuilt once allready. Oh the joys of construction.

Soldato
OP
Far better than an ugly brush plate!
You can also get F-Connector faceplates and again run decent coax cable in the wall. This will let you hide the virgin coax nicely in the wall and should you move it later, an F Connector faceplate wont look unsightly. You can hide the splitters and anything like that in the wall cavity that way too.

I've got some satellite shotgun cable now.

I have cat6, a patch plate, some shotgun satellite cable and some f connectors.

so for the satellite wires,
I want to do the same as the cat6 cable and lay some satellite cables next to it down and have them all terminate at one location under the stairs so the V+ box can be plugged into any of the satellite wires...

Will this work and is this the correct way to do it? - because I' have everything ripped up at the moment ie. floorboards etc. and don't want to mess it up.

Also note that the cat 6 cable will be terminated by a professional. Sorry for being a pain. I've confused myself reading this thread back.

Back
Top Bottom